R1 cuts out or only runs poor.

funky
This post is 5099 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

first off hello, i have not been on this website for a while as i have been away with the Army. i got myself a 2001 5jj R1. (carb version) a couple of months ago, off a trusty police man.... i went for a couple of rides and it seemed fine, then on one ride out the engine started to sound like it was running on one cylinder. it then cut out.(all i thought off was that i ran out of fuel) i walked to the petrol station and filled up and the bike started fine and got me home. the thing is my bike will cut out after only doing 30ish miles, from a full tank. if i just wait 15mins after the bike cuts out it will start up fine again and get me home???

yesterday morning with a full tank of fuel it will start up running only on one cylinder with the chock then cut out if i take it off?

I feel like crying as the suns out and im sat in the garage.

Things that i have done to try and solve this.

1. drained fuel tank

2. blow fuel pipes, overflow pipes to check for a blockage

3. cried

4. full service

5. double checked spark plugs

6. come here for help :(

Any help would be great!!!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

first off hello, i have not been on this website for a while as i have been away with the Army. i got myself a 2001 5jj R1. (carb version) a couple of months ago, off a trusty police man.... i went for a couple of rides and it seemed fine, then on one ride out the engine started to sound like it was running on one cylinder. it then cut out.(all i thought off was that i ran out of fuel) i walked to the petrol station and filled up and the bike started fine and got me home. the thing is my bike will cut out after only doing 30ish miles, from a full tank. if i just wait 15mins after the bike cuts out it will start up fine again and get me home???

yesterday morning with a full tank of fuel it will start up running only on one cylinder with the chock then cut out if i take it off?

I feel like crying as the suns out and im sat in the garage.

Things that i have done to try and solve this.

1. drained fuel tank

2. blow fuel pipes, overflow pipes to check for a blockage

3. cried

4. full service

5. double checked spark plugs

6. come here for help :(

Any help would be great!!!

Try this, next time it cuts out open the filler cap and try to start the engine, it might be a trapped carb vent and pulling a vacuum in the engine. (Edit I mean a trapped / blocked tank vent and pulling vac in the tank)Another possibility is the ignition pulser breaking down under high temperature, when the bike cools a little all is well again, this would require investigating or replacing, cant give you any resistance fugures though you will have to check in a Haynes manual.

...Paul

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online