sealed bearings

MaRtIe
This post is 5279 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi guys, im new to the forum and wondered if i could get some help :)

im rebuilding a DT 125 engine (il show project pics later)

im replacing all the bearings with new ones, most the new ones are fitted but today i bought the last 2 i needed witch have been hard to find. the bike shop i got them from told me i could remove the seals from the bearings and run them open in my gearbox. now all this is fine but what concerns me is the fact the inner cage that holds the bearings in is a type of plastic. will this be ok to use still? im worried they might wear with grit or contaminents in the oil. the bearings are for the counter balance weight shaft and the primary gear shaft (clutch basket side).

the old ones i removed are actualy in good condition, its just i wanted to use the new ones i got today if i could.

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You should be fine. The engine oil makes an excellent lubricant. The bearings have seals in them because they are intended for an application where they could be exposed to water or dirt.