Big power change at approx 5000 revs, normal?

Reecey
This post is 5280 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've got a little 100cc leaner bike; a Yamaha RSX100. Anyway, when I get to about 5000 revs (I think!) it feels like a turbo is kicking in, suddenly I get plenty of power! It does this in most of the gears, is this normal for a little 2 stroke or could there be something wrong?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I've got a little 100cc leaner bike; a Yamaha RSX100. Anyway, when I get to about 5000 revs (I think!) it feels like a turbo is kicking in, suddenly I get plenty of power! It does this in most of the gears, is this normal for a little 2 stroke or could there be something wrong?

Nothing wrong with that my friend. 2strokes have a very definite power band, while its not as large in the 100cc, its still there and you should feel it if the engine is in good health.

The down side is that the power stops as readily as it started, reving a 2stoke for all its worth will get you nothing but bills. Listen and feel how your bike runs, around 750 to 1000rpm shy of the redline you will more than likely feel the 'turbo boost' wear off. At this point you should be changing gear for best performance. Or if she goes that well in top roll off the throttle as you are just wasting fuel.

You're just jealous since they don't build em like they used to in 1988! ;-)

Too right Reecy, you enjoy it fella, not many people these days experiencing the joys of a 2 stroke motor. ;)

Oh and if you look after it...in ten years time it will be as old as mine :P

(is now)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online