DIY powder coating

drewpy
This post is 5197 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

we do something similar in work, we heat the metal up either in the oven, in the hearth or with a propane gun and then plunge it into a pot of aerated plastic dust particles. Gives a decent coating and if its done right is as good as a professional powder coat.

Not sure where buy our plastic, but i know we have yellow and blue. I powered coated some dog-bones for my FZR1000 last year using this 'diy' method.

Guest MaD.VeZ

we do something similar in work, we heat the metal up either in the oven, in the hearth or with a propane gun and then plunge it into a pot of aerated plastic dust particles.  Gives a decent coating and if its done right is as good as a professional powder coat.

Not sure where buy our plastic, but i know we have yellow and blue.  I powered coated some dog-bones for my FZR1000 last year using this 'diy' method.

We used the same method with a propane torch and a bucket of powder for coating a coat hangar in school, it was multi-coloured and looked good when cooled.  :)

We used the same method with a propane torch and a bucket of powder for coating a coat hangar in school, it was multi-coloured and looked good when cooled.  :)

makes sense - i'm a teacher! Our 'powder coating pot', is a pukka bit of kit tho', must have cost a few bob.

Guest MaD.VeZ

makes sense - i'm a teacher!  Our 'powder coating pot', is a pukka bit of kit tho', must have cost a few bob.

I wondered if it wasn't a mixed batch of discarded powder that we used, probably sourced cheaply if the rest of the school was anything to go by. It was in a plastic bucket.  

What kit is required? 

From memory all we had was the torch and the bucket  :lol:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online