Yamaha DT125R Cylinder Replacement

Big Tobe
This post is 5281 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
Guest MaD.VeZ

Second item down, take a seat before clicking the link, it isn't cheap. http://www.pjme.co.u...ts_Top_End.html .

I hear its also possible to fit a Lanza 230cc engine in there, but you have more chance of being hit by lightening twice than finding one.

Get a rebore and a new piston like the rest of us do :P

Welcome to the forum btw

Vez

Second item down, take a seat before clicking the link, it isn't cheap. http://www.pjme.co.u...ts_Top_End.html .

I hear its also possible to fit a Lanza 230cc engine in there, but you have more chance of being hit by lightening twice than finding one.

Get a rebore and a new piston like the rest of us do  :P

Welcome to the forum btw

Vez 

Hi vez, thanks for your quick reply,

the only problem is that it has already been bored, also the scratch is fairly deep on the inside of the cylinder. Is there anything else I can do apart from buying a new one?

Guest MaD.VeZ

Hi vez, thanks for your quick reply,

the only problem is that it has already been bored, also the scratch is fairly deep on the inside of the cylinder. Is there anything else I can do apart from buying a new one?

The link is for a bigbore kit, you can get a second hand barrel for around £85+/- on ebay. Or a reconditioned barrel, head and piston kit for £185

There is also the relining route but i hear that is expensive and not worth it.

Even with a deep gouge in the bore all may not be lost, how many times has it been rebored and to what diameter?

Vez

Sorry about the late reply :rolleyes:

The current bore is 57mm and the scratch is about 2-3mm deep, the previous owner told me that he had bored it from a standard 56mm

Is there any chance I could still rebore it?

Thanks.

Guest MaD.VeZ

That does sound deep! I have heard you can go quite far when reboring a DTR but i have never been past 56.9mm myself. (there was talk of a 2.5mm overbore(>58.5mm iirc) but it may just be speculation)

Here is a link to a 57.65mm piston for the DTR, there are larger available, but i wouldn't be comfortable if it was me. http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item23064caf06

What I would do, is to take the barrel to a local bike shop/breakers/engineer and ask them for there opinion. You could post pictures on here, but it isn't easy to tell from pics.

Where abouts are you? maybe someone on here can suggest a good shop to try.

Vez

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online