Please help, starting/running problem, '93 XJ600!!!!!!

Tracyman_0111
This post is 5284 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey all!!! I did my best to search previous topics concerning my problem, so as not to crowd the forum, but I could only piece together bits and pieces :( So I have a '93 XJ600. It has been sitting since about October, although, I had to fuel tank off for paint (carbs covered) for the entire winter, so I don't think it's so much a bad gas problem as it is something else. I installed a new battery, had it running for awhile. It idled pretty poorly, but I figured I'd let it warm up and try to just run it for awhile before I panicked. I took it up and down the street in front of my house, and it ran even worse. In neutral, it would run up the RPMs if you throttled it real slow, but if you nail it it just bogs and dies. When letting out on the clutch, you have to really gas it and slip the clutch good or else it bogs and dies under the load. I rode like a half mile, it sputtered and died, and now won't start at all, although it tries to (catches and misses). I removed the tank, and sprayed fresh gas from a spray bottle directly into the carb throats while cranking, and that helps some, but it still won't start and run. I've checked the obvious, such as spark, compression, recieving fuel at the pump and carbs. I don't know what else to do other than to disassemble and clean the carbs good, although an older, more knowledgeable friend of mine helped me do just that last August, and the bike has never really been right since. I've heard things such as too much fuel and float level problems. I figured I would look for some Yamaha-specific people on the net. Any help is GREATLY appreciated, as I'm stuck standing in the driveway watching my friends ride off into the sunset at this point in time :(

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

***UPDATE*** So I just went out and tried to start it again, and it started this time, again idling pretty poorly. I don't know if sitting for 45 minutes or so had anything to do with it starting again. I attempted to ride it again, I went about a half mile and back. Although it didn't shut off, it wanted to. It would only run with full choke, and sudden throttle twist and it would bog and die, same as before.

Hey all!!! I did my best to search previous topics concerning my problem, so as not to crowd the forum, but I could only piece together bits and pieces :( So I have a '93 XJ600. It has been sitting since about October, although, I had to fuel tank off for paint (carbs covered) for the entire winter, so I don't think it's so much a bad gas problem as it is something else. I installed a new battery, had it running for awhile. It idled pretty poorly, but I figured I'd let it warm up and try to just run it for awhile before I panicked. I took it up and down the street in front of my house, and it ran even worse. In neutral, it would run up the RPMs if you throttled it real slow, but if you nail it it just bogs and dies. When letting out on the clutch, you have to really gas it and slip the clutch good or else it bogs and dies under the load. I rode like a half mile, it sputtered and died, and now won't start at all, although it tries to (catches and misses). I removed the tank, and sprayed fresh gas from a spray bottle directly into the carb throats while cranking, and that helps some, but it still won't start and run. I've checked the obvious, such as spark, compression, recieving fuel at the pump and carbs. I don't know what else to do other than to disassemble and clean the carbs good, although an older, more knowledgeable friend of mine helped me do just that last August, and the bike has never really been right since. I've heard things such as too much fuel and float level problems. I figured I would look for some Yamaha-specific people on the net. Any help is GREATLY appreciated, as I'm stuck standing in the driveway watching my friends ride off into the sunset at this point in time :(

sounds like you answered question , Carbs strip for me ,maybe your freind who cleaned up the carbs in august has not put them back correctly, make sure the jets are clear and carbs are spotless inside.

cheers Al