Battery

martiniman
This post is 5146 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all, this is prob a FAQ and already been discussed in depth. As i have said i am new to biking, i flattened my battery yesterday (on my xvs 125) I only left the head light on for about 20 mins, anyway i read up a bit on the net about jumping/ charging batteries i decided to phone the RAC out as i read so much about how if its a gel battery i would damage it by jumping it, and that you need special chargers for bikes etc bla bla bla. So anyway the RAC bloke came and just jumped it off his van no probs! Lesson learned for next time. So my first question, is it normal to flatten a battery after 20 mins? (my mate says it it) Second another mate says i should invest in an oximiser for about £20 he also said it will condition the battery when the bikes parked up without one ya battery will need replacing every year. does this sound about right? Third it looks like the battery on my bike is fairly deep inside the frame, is it a big job changing it?

Cheers

Martiniman

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Generally a battery that is run every day for over 20 minutes will last ages. If you start the bike once a week for 10 minutes, your battery will be knackered before long - so it depends on what you do with it, as to how long it will last.

Batteries on small bikes are normally small also (in power capacity) so it depends on the capacity of yuor battery as to how long it will last under load.

No help this really is it?

An optimate/optimise/conditioner thingy will keep your battery going for a good long time, on the big singles that I ride a battery is estimated to last about 2 years, with an optimate device I'm still on the same battery I bought 4 years ago (on the dirt bike that gets out about 2 or 3 times a month), so worth the investment in the long term. However if you ride the bike every day, for at least 20 minutes after every start then you will recoupe the 'cold crank' loss and the battery will go on and on and on. in other words no need for an optimate device.

As you move to more cylinders then the cold crank requirements drop and the batteries generally last longer.

I would suggest, especially if you've flattened it, to get an optimate thingy and use it, they are especialy good at keeping batteries good in cold weather.

As for removing the battery, you should be able to remove it fairly easily though the side cover (the one that needs the key to open it). It's a bit tight but it does come out.

I flattened battery not too long ago but seemed ok once recharged (which I did without removing the battery)

I haven't got an optimiser (though would recommend one), just a normal bike battery charger which I charge up once every 2 months or so just to keep it topped up.

Good luck

Graham

1st you need a decent battery; I got a cheapo and it lasted 3 months!!

as I ride mainly in the warmer months I always use an optimiser, the new ones de-sulphate the plates and it lasts a lot longer, they also come with a fly lead so its a matter of getting the lead under the frame and attaching the charger to that, no need to go near the battery!

had my battery 2 years now

You left the bike running with lights on for 20 minutes, or just the ignition?

If the latter, then yeah it will kill your battery very quick.

However, in case this ever happens again and you're away from assistance, the 125 Drag is light enough that you can easily bump-start it in 2nd gear... or even 1st if you're forceful enough. Being at the top of a hill helps...

As for removing the battery, you should be able to remove it fairly easily though the side cover (the one that needs the key to open it). It's a bit tight but it does come out.

Is it not the opposite side?

The one with the key is the 'glove compartment', innit?

You left the bike running with lights on for 20 minutes, or just the ignition?

If the latter, then yeah it will kill your battery very quick.

However, in case this ever happens again and you're away from assistance, the 125 Drag is light enough that you can easily bump-start it in 2nd gear... or even 1st if you're forceful enough. Being at the top of a hill helps...

Na just the ignition, i had just serviced the bike, changed the oil i was on my way out for a run the bike had been standing and noticed that the oil was just a little over the top fill mark, so by the time i got a socket and drained a little oil out and went back in the house for my lid, the battery was dead.

The opposite side has fuses in the way, but you can wiggle the battery out from the 'glove compartment'.

I put a fly lead on my battery - best thing I evet did = key in, side cover off, plug in, battery on charge. Takes 2 mins max.

Can you bump start a bike if the battery is completely dead i.e. ignition light doesn't even come on?

Can you bump start a bike if the battery is completely dead i.e. ignition light doesn't even come on?

Mine does it with the battery removed... Dunno how. Just does.

Mine does it with the battery removed... Dunno how. Just does.

That's pretty hard on the charging system/regulator. I wouldn't make a habit out of it. Like un protected sex, the next time could be it!!!

Yeah, I was just playing and decided to see...

Good news is that it WILL still work if it has to - ie middle of feck all, pouring rain and with completely karked battery, I can still get us home.

But yes, not something to do regularly by any means...

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online