82 Maxim 400 Carb Help

a1parrothead
This post is 5284 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Putting back together carbs from a parts box after cleaning. Obviously this bike uses 2 different size main jets, a 115 and 125. I just need to make sure I put the jets back on correctly. Which size goes where? Please be specific, as in left or right while sitting on the bike and the carbs are mounted, or even as specific as the side where the fuel line hooks up is where such and such size goes. Sorry, just want to be sure!

Also, and just as important, the pilot jets are different. One has holes all along it, and the other is solid except of course for the hole in the end. Which goes on which side?

So we speak the same language, if the carbs are mounted and I am sitting on the bike, the fuel line comes in on the left side, and of course I assume this is the left carb. Correct?

Thanks, Jeff

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

you can down load a manual in the "sticky" at the top of this section, it should give you the info you need.

I had a new kit from cirus and they sent a solid pilot and it made my tickover too lean so went back to the "holey" ones

the sohc bikes in the uk have identical jets for each carb, so i think its more to do with legislation than mechanical excellence!!

drewps

Putting back together carbs from a parts box after cleaning. Obviously this bike uses 2 different size main jets, a 115 and 125. I just need to make sure I put the jets back on correctly. Which size goes where? Please be specific, as in left or right while sitting on the bike and the carbs are mounted, or even as specific as the side where the fuel line hooks up is where such and such size goes. Sorry, just want to be sure!

According to this Yamaha parts catalog http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/parts/home.aspx the 125 jet goes in the left carb (when your sitting on the bike) and the 115 jet goes in the right carb.

Also, and just as important, the pilot jets are different. One has holes all along it, and the other is solid except of course for the hole in the end. Which goes on which side?

So we speak the same language, if the carbs are mounted and I am sitting on the bike, the fuel line comes in on the left side, and of course I assume this is the left carb. Correct?

Thanks, Jeff

Thanks everyone,

So I guess I will put the mains back in. Just still not quite clear on which side to put the different pilot jets. Any more thoughts?

Thanks, Jeff

According to this same catalog, both carbs require the same pilot jet (size 42.5) part #24 on the diagram and they also require the same pilot air jet (size 170) part #40 on the diagram.

It has been over a year since I had my carbs apart so I'm not remembering all the details but I don't remember it being possible to accidentally swap these other jets. Except for the two different size main jets, everything else seemed like it could only fit in one spot. I hope I'm understanding your question.

Thanks everyone,

So I guess I will put the mains back in. Just still not quite clear on which side to put the different pilot jets. Any more thoughts?

Thanks, Jeff

both pilot jet's should be the same size and style with hole's or with out.i got mine from here http://www.mikesxs.net/products-39.html#products

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online