any good metric toolkits for bikes?

armyofda12mnkeys
This post is 5120 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Any good metric toolkits (not like the kind you have in the your saddlebag, but a more detailed kit)?

Someone recommended this Crescent Toolkit for standard maintainance, but wasnt sure if was a good fit to classic metric bikes (specifically 78 XS400),

It includes alot of SAE tools too, so wasnt sure what will give the most bang for your buck for motorcycle use ...

http://www.amazon.com/Crescent-CTK170CMP-Mechanics-Tool-170-Piece/dp/B000LWAX2C

Anyone got suggestions to help add onto this list?:

It doesnt need to be a speciality kit as I already have or am sharing with my friend these items:

Circlip internal/external pliers

Cheap socket/wrench set (3/8 ratchet drive) [willing to upgrade if included in nice kit],

3 piece adjustable crescent wrench set

Prob get a nice torque wrench separately (open to suggestions as i know there are different in/ft per pound ones, anyone know a good one to use that covers most bike needs? or need 2 to cover low torque and higher torque settings?),

.... got some other crap me and friend share for general maintainance...

Motion Pro Spark Plug Gapping Tool

Bike Master Dual Reading Feeler Gauge Set - 32-Blade Combination

Locktite thread locker, blue/red

Clutch/Flywheel Holding Tool

Flywheel puller

Chain Riveting/breaker Tool

Hydraulic Brake Bleeder

Impact Screwdriver

1500 lift

various engine/fork/brake fluids/sprays

Heck I may just need a good set of combo wrenches if above is good enough, and possibly better socket kit, and general screwdriver bits.

Our bike need any Allen wrenches anywhere?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I always buy stuff from Halfords. Got a couple of nice sets from their smaller Professional Set range.

Pretty solid stuff, feels good to use, reasonably priced and in metric, too.

A lot of the pro mechanics round this way also buy from Halfords - They all recommended I do the same.

I always buy stuff from Halfords.

<snip>

from their smaller Professional Set range.

Pretty solid stuff, feels good to use, reasonably priced and in metric, too.

Me too, I've tried many different type over the years, but the Halford Proffessional stuff is still like new, I've never experienced a fracture or break and the rachets don't slip either. Not the cheapest stuff though, but you can feel the quality.

Guest MaD.VeZ

Snap-on is my favorite, but again they are expensive, but with the brake it and they replace it guarantee on spanners, sockets etc, i think its worth the extra. But i hear snap-on are moving production to china, so maybe look for some second hand as its still covered by the guarantee. 

Halfords stuff is nearly as good but im not sure if they have Halfords in the US.( i presume you are from the US armyofda12monkeys by the link you supplied) 

Vez.

• 2 months later...

One more tool question...

I was looking to buy a 3/8" Dr. "Split Beam" Torque Wrench w/Flex head (20-100 Ft./Lbs) based on a recommendation for a good torque wrench (had issues with another one not working well and my friend overtightened and broke a screw)...

Will 20-100ft/lbs cover alot of ranges or would i need something for other measurements below/above 20-100ft/lbs? (think they also sell an inches/lbs version of this wrench, but I assume all things are in ft/lbs... will confirm with my manual later hehe).

-Arian

One more tool question...

I was looking to buy a 3/8" Dr. "Split Beam" Torque Wrench w/Flex head (20-100 Ft./Lbs) based on a recommendation for a good torque wrench (had issues with another one not working well and my friend overtightened and broke a screw)...

Will 20-100ft/lbs cover alot of ranges or would i need something for other measurements below/above 20-100ft/lbs? (think they also sell an inches/lbs version of this wrench, but I assume all things are in ft/lbs... will confirm with my manual later hehe).

-Arian

I have 2 torque wrenches

5 - 20 lbs/ft (actually in NM)

and 10 - 100lbs/ft for heavy stuff like wheel spindles 70 lbs/ft

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online