2000 xvs monoshock problem

growls
This post is 5206 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, I picked up a reasonable cheap 2000 xvs 650 for a bobber conversion project However there is some corrosion damage on on the rear swing arm and monoshock.

I have a replacement swing arm and monoshock but the problem I am having is the rear monoshock bolt and sleeves seem to be rusted solid. Heat and freeing products havent worked and using a longer lever on the bolt dosnt either as it merley lifts the bike up and moves it.

Does any one have any other ideas to try as there isnt a lot of room to dry cutting / drilling.

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Not sure if this would help http://www.screwfix.com/prods/17610/Van-Car-Accessories/Mechanics-Tools/Nut-Splitters - nut splitter for £10...?

sadly the nut itself will unbolt but the bolt wont move as it appears either the weight of the shock is holding it in place or it has rusted to the two metal collars it runs through which have rusted to the swing arm brackets.

There isnt room to swing a hammer to knock the bolt through.

I had the same problem when my monoshock bust right off it's bolt bracket.

My mechanic was able to carefully angle-grind the thing apart.

Is this the lower bolt on the swingarm, or teh upper one that connects to the main frame you're having trouble with?

It's the lower one. I was hoping to be able to salvage the swing arm and the shock for a spare. It may still be possible when I swap the swing arm over as that will give more room to get at the rusted bolt.

Where did your guy angle grind to free it?

It's the lower one. I was hoping to be able to salvage the swing arm and the shock for a spare. It may still be possible when I swap the swing arm over as that will give more room to get at the rusted bolt.

Try a good quality release/penetrating oil. Soak it well over a few hours, dont let it dry out, keep applying some to the seized joints. After that, try moving the bolt in both directions alternately a little to try to break the bond, with an occaisonal tap on the bolt head with a hammer. Sometimes does the trick.

Lower one, huh? Exact same as mine.

My chappie cut down between (what was left of) the shock and its swingarm bracket. Essentially, he cut the bolt and replaced it, but kept the collar. The grinder did graze the collar a few times, but all worked out in the end.

Replace with a Hagon shock, by the way - They're excellent!!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online