Newbie DT 50-R SM owner :)

bertbuckie
This post is 5210 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just saying hi....

I purchased a DT-50-R SM on satarday in a bid to save money and put my car off the road ( petrol prices - join my facebook group protest if you like - http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=371188528552 )

I am 28 and 17 1/2 stone and completely standard it does 80kmph downhill and only 40kmph uphill but luckily my short trip to work is only 2 miles each way in a 30 limit :)

I bought a 50cc because I can drive it without any need for licence as my car licence covers me however after numerous calls to the DVLA I was given very varied answers as to what I need to do to get a 125 or larger bike in the future when moneys not so tight :(

Can anyone here answer this for me?

My licence is a full uk car obtained in 1999 if that matters.

Lastly... I am quite mechanically minded and intend to service the bike myself ( as I do with my cars ) once I obtain the knowlege required however I have never touched an engine with a carb before.... are these easy to setup after cleaning them ?

Thanks for taking the time to read this..... I know Im old for a 50 but its good fun lol, 1st day I did 73 miles to get it home my arse was numb and a tractor overtook me..... but nevermind I managed to hold up a caravan for about 15 mins :D lol

Bert

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ohh sorry I forgot.... heres a pic :)

Supermotard.jpg

Shes clean and starts first time :)

Paid £700 for her with a bike stand :)

Failte; Bert to the YOC cool.gif

Thats a nice we bike you have. A bit more power would be nice but as you said ya can drive it on car licence.

Sorry dont know the steps that have to be taken over-there to be able to ride a 125. Maby---- Theroy test, lessons, provisional licence, cbt, then do your test----- me not sure.

Regards service: Yep easy to maintain and lookafter. If you are using bike everyday or so then you shouldnt have any probs with your carb. You can take it appart to clean it (only if needed) without messing the settings and if your carefull. All other service things will be easy enough if your engine head inclined !

Hope this helps ya biggrin.gif

ps. loads of help on here from everyone if ya need it !!!

Failte; Bert to the YOC cool.gif

Thats a nice we bike you have. A bit more power would be nice but as you said ya can drive it on car licence.

Sorry dont know the steps that have to be taken over-there to be able to ride a 125. Maby---- Theroy test, lessons, provisional licence, cbt, then do your test----- me not sure.

Regards service: Yep easy to maintain and lookafter. If you are using bike everyday or so then you shouldnt have any probs with your carb. You can take it appart to clean it (only if needed) without messing the settings and if your carefull. All other service things will be easy enough if your engine head inclined !

Hope this helps ya biggrin.gif

ps. loads of help on here from everyone if ya need it !!!

The bike will be used daily :)

I thought about de-restricting it but to be honest knowing my luck Id get caught and I have 9 points as it is :(

She`s a great wee toy but I almost got knocked off on the way home with it by some *$@& in an audi estate..... he decided to overtake while something was comming the opposite way and missed my handlebars by 6" or so and the wife was following me in the car and already is on about it being too dangerous :( lol

ohhh.... and I have looked for haynes manuals everywere and cant find one for my bike - 03

All of them seem to be for older models or MX versions ( if theres any sigificant differences )

Does anyone know where I can buy one ?

Thanks smile.gif

The bike will be used daily smile.gif

I thought about de-restricting it but to be honest knowing my luck Id get caught and I have 9 points as it is sad.gif

She`s a great wee toy but I almost got knocked off on the way home with it by some *$@& in an audi estate..... he decided to overtake while something was comming the opposite way and missed my handlebars by 6" or so and the wife was following me in the car and already is on about it being too dangerous sad.gif lol

Thats out on the main road i take-it.

It will be fine in and arround the 30mph speed limit.

Dont let cars bully you into doing things that you dont want to do.

Get used to cars trying to knock you off they all do it, (Yank-rs).

You need to grow a second pair of eyes and watch out for anything that moves, even in the faraway distance and behind you.

EDIT: I see now that you have had other bikes before so maby your used to all this allready.

Thats out on the main road i take-it.

It will be fine in and arround the 30mph speed limit.

Dont let cars bully you into doing things that you dont want to do.

Get used to cars trying to knock you off they all do it, (Yank-rs).

You need to grow a second pair of eyes and watch out for anything that moves, even in the faraway distance and behind you.

EDIT: I see now that you have had other bikes before so maby your used to all this allready.

My other bikes were all used offroad or on an old airfield :)

I wont let them bully me but it was move aside or be knocked off...... i just saw him in my mirror....came out of no were so must have been nipping on and had no choice I recon :(

I used to pull over to the verge in my car when bikes came because I thought I was letting them past.....then my mate told me I was just showering him with gravel :( oops :( --- if only you were taught more usefull info like this in your theory test!

Im like a kid with a new toy lol.... I know its just a 50 but riding home on sat morning in the sun....watching the world go past.....it was unbelievably calming to my usual stressfull life :)

Think im hooked haha

no one know about an owners manual or haynes? my owners manual is in 6 languages.....none english :(