starter problem on 81 Virago 750

turbo dude
This post is 5212 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

i'm trying to fix my buddy's virago and i need a little advice. i did some research and it looks like the virago has a history of starter problems because of the way it is designed. my problem isn't the typical grinding problem though. the first thing that happens is it keeps blowing starter solenoids. so to get the starter to engage now i have to short out the connectors on the solenoid itself. when i do that the starter seems to want to turn the engine over but just doesn't have enough power. every once in a while it will work but 90% of the time it clicks but won't turn the flywheel.

now i took the starter off and tested it and it seems to turn freely. is it possible that it's just worn out? i've never had this problem with a starter on a car before..it either works or it doesn't. this starter will turn fine out of the bike, but once i put it back in it doesn't quite have the juice. what do you guys think?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

if your certain the battery is good, certain that the engine has a good earth to the battery, and certain the starter (when energised from the solenoid) is getting a good supply with a volt drop of NO MORE than 0.5 volts on that supply, yet it still wont turn the engine and the engine is ok then there's nothing else it can be but the starter... testing the starter off the bike with no load attached is inconclusive as even a knackered motor will spin free with no load on it.

"sounds" like a lazy starter motor to me

if your certain the battery is good, certain that the engine has a good earth to the battery, and certain the starter (when energised from the solenoid) is getting a good supply with a volt drop of NO MORE than 0.5 volts on that supply, yet it still wont turn the engine and the engine is ok then there's nothing else it can be but the starter... testing the starter off the bike with no load attached is inconclusive as even a knackered motor will spin free with no load on it.

"sounds" like a lazy starter motor to me

the bike is hooked up to the battery in my car..it's fully charged. i checked and cleaned the ground (earth) to the battery. i took the starter apart and cleaned/sanded the brushes and the commuter?

should i get a starter rebuild kit or buy a remanufactured one?

the bike is hooked up to the battery in my car..it's fully charged. i checked and cleaned the ground (earth) to the battery. i took the starter apart and cleaned/sanded the brushes and the commuter?

should i get a starter rebuild kit or buy a remanufactured one?

You shouldn't use a car to charge a motorcycle battery - too much charge. 1 amp max if you want it to last.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online