Foam in gearbox oil and coming from engine breather pipe on DT125R

This post is 5156 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Firstly dont panic-its unlikely that a perished seal would let enough water into the gearbox to cause 'emulsifying',(oil and water smoothie-foam), unless you are wading the bike through water its more likely to be condensation inside the engine and gearbox.

get new oil and filters (oil and air),,,warm the bike up and then drain it (leave overnight with drain tray underneath),

buy 5 litres of parrafin (garden centre)-with drain plug in-fill engine til it wont take anymore (if this is done after thoroughly steam cleaning the engine you might detect the parrafin leaking from any perished seals or 'O' rings), with you and your best mate shaking the bike vigorously from side to side, next remove plug caps and turn the bike over ( :huh: ) by pressing the start, or kicking it over ( :huh::o ), drain this 'flush' off,clean out any breather hoses and airbox, renew oil and filters- done,

you can buy commercialy available engine flush-but its probably parrafin in a nice bottle and will be 're-assuringly expensive' !

HTH :)

PM me if you get stuck

Guest MaD.VeZ

Some has said that its the seal around the gearbox to the engine, is this right is it hard to do. also just seen on the forum it could be the water pump shaft seal

It does sound like the water pump seal tbh, if the oil in your gearbox is white then thats your culprit, the water pump is the only place this can happen. And no its not an easy fix if it is. The full engine will need to come out and the crankcases will need to be split to get access to said seal.

Had it happen to my a few times and its not fun, but a great learning experience

Vez

Ahh I didnt know a 125 dt R was water cooled, well now,

just get a big hammer :huh: , some mole grips :huh: , some 'plug-it' :huh: (sold in most good submarine shops),,,

that doesn't sound good m8y, like Mad.Vez says its a good learning experience if you wanna give it a go

good luck :)

If it is the waterpump seal you shouldn't have to remove the engine as the waterpump/seal are housed in the RH clutch cover but you will have to drain the gearbox oil and coolant before you remove the cover. Tony.

just a question how old is the oil in the bike? hav u tried just a simple oil change? might just b old oil and u dont have a leak.... just a thaught.....

Guest MaD.VeZ

If it is the waterpump seal you shouldn't have to remove the engine as the waterpump/seal are housed in the RH clutch cover but you will have to drain the gearbox oil and coolant before you remove the cover. Tony.

My bad. Your right Tony. Has been a while since i done one :blush:

I blame paint fumes :unsure:

the bike is my dads at the moment he has said that it is loosing a bit of water, il just take it apart at the weekend and have a look

Yep, if you loosing water and the gearbox oil is white and if the oil level is rising in the gearbox then your waterpump seal is nackered.

If there is no external leaks round the gearbox then this seal is ok.

Guest MaD.VeZ

Could someone get me a link of the seal that i need, having trouble trying to find them. Are they called a water pump oil seal?

is this them - http://partacus.co.u...Yamaha-dt-125-R,-Water-pump-oil-seal,-dtr-125.html

Sounds right, but i can't be 100% sure

Heres a link to one for a DTR 1990-2003 http://motorcyclepro...3-p-158164.html, although im 99% sure they are the same on previous years also.

If not your year just search the site as they do all DT's/DTR's/DTRE/DTX.

Vez

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online