Fazer 1000 Shock / Forks

paulinus
This post is 5305 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone,

I wondering if anyone has any experience or advice about the suspension of Fazer 1000's...

It is well reported/known that the OE shock on the Fazer is a little overwhelmed and somewhat 'boingy' and many people stiffen them up by various means.

I have a 9 yr old model and at about 10,000 miles I replaced the rear shock with a Maxton one and replaced the fork internals. 4 yrs and 25,000mils later and it feels like I'm riding a space hopper especially in bends which makes me lack confidence and takes some of the fun out riding!

So my questions are, as someone who knows very little about how to set up suspension....

is my Maxton shock (as a brand) any good?

can I get it 'reconditioned' (surely a cheaper option?)

if it isn't any good, what other types should I be looking at?

A very knowledgeable mechanic explained to me the way shocks work although being a ex-racing team mechanic he dismissed Maxton and insisted I get an Ohlins.... which would be very good I'm sure but as a road rider who has no illusions about being a weekend WSB hero on the latest WSB replica, do I NEED an ohlins shock? would I be able to tell the difference? can I make do with a cheaper model?

anyway, hope some of you can help or point me in the right direction :)

Paul

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online