Yamaha xvs Starting issues

David Gravy
This post is 5211 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I was wondering if any of you good people could help me out with a problem...

I recently purchased a 125 xvs dragstar and am having some issues with the battery/starting. The bike will run fine for a few days and then out of nowhere it just wont start, it seems as though the battery is dead but rather than making the usual "struggling to tick over sound," when i press the ignition it makes a buzzing noise and nothing happens. Once I recharge the battery it works fine for a few days to a week and then it will happen again? The battery is only a month old so I don't think it should be loosing charge.... Although it is 5a which seem a bit small (even for a 125)to me? any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

David

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Put the battery in.

Then put a multimeter across your terminals and see what the voltage is. Should be around 13v.

Then do the same with the bike running and the throttle open a bit, around lower-mid rev range. The voltage should go up.

My first thought is that it isn't charging, which probably means your regulator-rectifier is duff, or there's a bad connection somewhere.

Possibly even a bad earth....

Put the battery in.

Then put a multimeter across your terminals and see what the voltage is. Should be around 13v.

Then do the same with the bike running and the throttle open a bit, around lower-mid rev range. The voltage should go up.

My first thought is that it isn't charging, which probably means your regulator-rectifier is duff, or there's a bad connection somewhere.

Possibly even a bad earth....

Cheers, I'll have a go at this and let you know how I get on... really appreciate the advice :)

if ur in need of some parts il do u some for cheep im breaking a 04 xvs 125 for certain parts and need to get rid of the bits i dont need if u need a regulator / rectifyer il sell u one for next to nowt e-mail me if ur interested. [email protected]

cheers. Paul.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online