Need info on a 71 CT1 175

nitebane21
This post is 5293 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello! Very nice forums, I've read all I could find here about the ct1 and learned quite a bit.

That being said, I know zero about motorcycles in general and googling the ct1 hasn't come up with much (although parts seem cheap and plentiful!) so I'm hoping you guys can help me out.

I'm looking at this bike: http://albany.craigslist.org/mcy/1656792320.html Seems like a decent deal and I could use a project since my vintage VW (car) is just making me depressed. I emailed the seller to find out how deep into "project status" it is. Can you tell me some other questions I should ask? Is this going to be a high maintenance bike? I can do basics, but not sure if I would want to attempt an engine teardown quite yet. Are carbs something that can be learned by a novice? This bike is 10yrs older than me and by the time I had a license, even beater cars came with F.I. I have about a 5mi commute to work, 100% city driving, and it seems like this would be a fun little commuter plus save me a bit on gas and insurance.

Any tips/tricks, things to look for, things to ask and general info would be greatly appreciated!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hello! Very nice forums, I've read all I could find here about the ct1 and learned quite a bit.

That being said, I know zero about motorcycles in general and googling the ct1 hasn't come up with much (although parts seem cheap and plentiful!) so I'm hoping you guys can help me out.

I'm looking at this bike: http://albany.craigslist.org/mcy/1656792320.html Seems like a decent deal and I could use a project since my vintage VW (car) is just making me depressed. I emailed the seller to find out how deep into "project status" it is. Can you tell me some other questions I should ask? Is this going to be a high maintenance bike? I can do basics, but not sure if I would want to attempt an engine teardown quite yet. Are carbs something that can be learned by a novice? This bike is 10yrs older than me and by the time I had a license, even beater cars came with F.I. I have about a 5mi commute to work, 100% city driving, and it seems like this would be a fun little commuter plus save me a bit on gas and insurance.

Any tips/tricks, things to look for, things to ask and general info would be greatly appreciated!

Is that what he's giving you to take it? :D

Only kidding, i personally wouldn't bother there are plenty out there better than that.Looks like the tank has had a hard life, the seat is well past it too, don't know whats going on at the front but it looks wrong to me, too small somehow. No tail light so rest of the loom is probably in tatters, its on knoblies so worked off road. And the real killer it don't run.

Nope move on my friend. B)

Thanks for the sharp eyes. The seat is pretty sad and you're right, with the condition it is in, there are probably some pretty rough areas unseen. I wasn't particularly looking for a bike but I like the vintage trial/enduro ones and I think I could have gotten this one in trade. Kind of sounds like it still may not be worth it. Ah well!

Thanks for the sharp eyes. The seat is pretty sad and you're right, with the condition it is in, there are probably some pretty rough areas unseen. I wasn't particularly looking for a bike but I like the vintage trial/enduro ones and I think I could have gotten this one in trade. Kind of sounds like it still may not be worth it. Ah well!

Don't be to down, as a small commuter fun bike they are great and with little more than basic maintanance they will happily run for thousands of miles. Not particularily fast but dependable, spares aren't bad and they are a doddle to work on. Keep em peeled they are out there. The slightly later DT175 circa 78/9 (see my avtar)may be a better bet for you. Slightly more modern but more of em, and still 30 years old.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online