dt 125 r 1997

This post is 5310 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,next week I'm going to buy this 1997 dt 125 r with 12000 miles on the clock.The owner is telling me over the phone the bike is very good condition.Could you tell me in layman terms what should I check for? Thank you

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
Guest MaD.VeZ

Make sure there are 2 wheels and a seat at the very least, oh i hear an engine and handle bars can be useful too :P

In all seriousness, i would suggest you find someone who has a understanding of bikes and take them with you, maybe ask in a local bike shop if they will check it over for you before you buy it(will cost you though). Even just a second pair of eyes will help.

Failing that there is alot to check for:

Basics. Check all the lights, indicators and horn work and the bike starts and idles nicely. also check for any major rust patches any where, especially around parts of the frame that have been welded together at the factory.

Check the front brake, roll the bike forward and apply the brake sharply, you are feeling for 2 things, 1 that the brake works without any pulsing of the lever or from the front end in general(caused by warped brake disk), and 2 for loose head bearings which will reveal itself in slight movement of the top yoke giving a bit of a clunk sound.

While there check the handle bars turn freely without any lumpy feeling, you are feeling for flat spots in the bearings(flat bearing kind of feels like when you roll a nut through your fingers)

Then check the front wheel bearings by taking hold of the wheel from the side, brace your feet against the bottom of the wheel and grab the top of the wheel and try and move the wheel from side to side, from 1 fork leg to the other, you are feeling for any movement between the wheel and the spindle.

Check for loose or broken spokes.

Examine the front brake caliper and disc for excessive wear.

Lift the fork gators up and check the fork seals for dampness/leaks.

Check for wear of the swing arm, ideally needs to be done with the wheels off the floor by moving the swing arm up and down and feeling for any freeplay or general looseness or clunky feeling.

Check the rear wheel bearing in the same manner as the front, and also check the brake disk and caliper while there.

Check the chain and sprockets. There should be very little side to side movement from the chain. There should be about 20mm to 40mm freeplay when lifting the chain up and down.

worn sprocket teeth

dsc07461y.jpg

Good sprocket teeth

websprockets2.jpg

Look inside the engine oil filler port for white oil, its a sign the water pump seal has gone and it isnt an easy fix.

Check inside the fuel tank for rust and floating debris.

Check the clutch works correctly and doesn't drag when shifting into gear wile stationary.( the bike will try to move with the clutch in while in gear)

Generally look for any signs of poor maintenance and care.

Take the bike for a test ride and look/feel for things like the bike slipping out of gear, strange wobbles when braking or steering(the brakes ain't the best on DTR's).

Make sure there are no knocking or pinking noises coming from the engine when revved<this one is hard to diagnose unless you know what to listen for as normal engine/exhaust noises can sometimes be mistaken for this.

There is probably a lot more i'm overlooking(getting finger cramp here), so i suggest a search of the internet for "what do i check when buying a second hand motorbike" and have a good read and gather a list together.

DTR's are notorious for being thrashed and ragged about, finding a good one is hard so you may have to expect to do some fixing/repairing yourself. But its worth it imo, but im a DTR fan so i would say that.

Disclaimer, i'm not responsible for you buying a bad bike by following my advice, these are just pointers and friendly advice, seek a professional if you want a proper opinion before buying.

Good luck

Vez.

Edit, welcome to the forum !

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online