gearbox problem 2002 r1

meatey
This post is 5073 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi ppl, just new on here, couple of friends said your all very helpful so i thought i would look you all up, ive got a gearbox problem " i think " on my 2002 r1 5pw, am having trouble finding gears the higher the gear and the faster i go the problem gets weirs could some one help me please . thanks ..

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Failte; Meaety to the YOC. cool.gif

Lift the back of the bike off the ground, rotate the wheel and try to select all the gears all the way to top gear. (bike not started of coarse)

If they all go in ok then it could be a clutch prob not gearbox.

Assumming of coarse you have kept oil changes and services up to date!

More info if you can !

hi friend. i will try that tomorrow morning, the bike has only done a little over 5000 miles, wouldnt like to say if it had been looked after regarding oil changes etc. i bought it last thing last yr, the condition of the bike is good for its yr, basicly i dont no much about the bike yet, but i did notice that it did struggle to get in to the gears before the end of the last year, ive drained the oil changed all filters 2wks ago, and nipped out on it on sunday , but was alot worse since i serviced it.. :o

ive drained the oil changed all filters 2wks ago, and nipped out on it on sunday , but was alot worse since i serviced it.. ohmy.gif

That will be the new thicker oil, it will settle in after a bit. What oil did you put in?

Does it clunk into 1st or 2nd when started and just about to pull of?

ye mate it clunks when i put it in to first gear. top of me head it was motul oil recommended by tilston motorcycle shop who deals with yamaha. i keep my bike at my parents with all the parts so i cant quote the grade of the oil.

Sounds like a clutch prob.

You might just need to adjust it at the handle-bar or down at the g-box itsself. It could also be the clutch lifting arm needs to be reset.

Try the spining the wheel by hand and selecting the gears thing first then try adjust the cable at handle-bar but not to much that the clutch can slip and see how you get on !

• 1 month later...

Hi thx for advise. ile let you know how i get on in couple of days. :D

hi there guys, names dave and new to the forum, i too have just got an 02 R1 and having the same problem, feels like 1st gear is struggling and sound like its rasping, 2 nd too. was thinking of putting a new gearbox in incase the gears were just thrashed from previous owners ?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online