They Don't Make'em Like They Used To!

XT Alan
This post is 7348 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

The ZX10 front wheel fiasco is the latest in a long line of worrying problems with new models from the Big Four.

We, Joe Public, are doing the manufacturers' development work for them. By memory - I can recall Suzuki's TL100s' Rotary Damper problems, Hayabusa rear sub frames breaking, 01 Bandit 12s drinking oil due to faulty pistons, Honda's first Varaderos needing new engines, their first new Pans also needing new engines and frame modifications due to heat build up, R1s with clutch basket problems. It's a long list.

Then there were the Triumph Daytonas that needed new frames, the TTs with Fuel Injection woes. Harley's V Rod has problems I've been told.

All this is because the makers are in a style and performance war and they are rushing new underdeveloped bikes onto the market for fear of losing market share. The 1000 and 600 Super Sports are so close that every two years they have to have major upgrades just to stay in touch with one another. The GSXR1000 was "King Of The Castle" last year - this year it is in the discount bin relying on on a limited edition paint job. The R6 is the sports tourer of the class. Yamaha's WR450 is having yet another series of major updates to stay on the pace. The new Fazer 600 is a horrible stylistic MV Brutale imitation bodge job. Honda's beautiful VFR750 has slowly become a over specced, VTEC powerbanded bloater.

Even BMW are changing models and formats with increasing frequency and, from what I hear, they are not exactly the last word in build quality or reliability. as they once were.

Ducatis were always delicate pieces of crap, as were Laverdas, Benellis, Nortons, BSAs and the rest of the Brit Bike Industry. Now the Japanese are also losing the plot. Still, never mind, THE CHINESE ARE COMING.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

They Don't Make'em Like They Used To!

I think about that everytime I throw a leg over my 21+yr. :wink:

The Manufacturers could learn a lesson from the old K.I.S.S.

K :roll:

You're right Alan. What gets me is that nobody builds sensible, useable bikes any more. Everything's an extreme...extreme sports, extreme cruisers, extreme tourers etc.

Where are the real world bikes these days?

Things like comfort and economy are never considered. And why can't they build bikes that are lighter.

30 years ago you could buy a Z1 and it would do anything you wanted it to do on-road.

Try finding an equivalent today....it doesn't exist.

And why can't they build bikes that are lighter

My blokes friend has some overly tuned useless in town fantastic old racey green ugly ninja. When it was new it was fantastic and modern, I can't get it off the side stand it's so heavy. However I can stand an R1 upright so I guess some things are getting lighter.

And if we're on about the lack of comfy usable bikes then can I introduce you to the fazer. I have no padding at all on my arse but never suffer from numb bum so I guess that it could be classed as comfy.

excellent post Alan, i think you've hit the nail on the head there, when striving for "excellence" the bike 4 shouldnt compromise on safety.

I agree with you Alan. Apart from the possible safety issues recalls are a pain in the arse to all concerned. Triumph recently recalled ALL fuel injected bikes made since 1997 because there is a fault with a fuel pipe connector. Apart from the time it takes up in the workshop, there is paperwork that has to be done and Triumph have to track down every single owner, quite a task I should think as I doubt that most of them are with the original owners now.

If they had given it a bit more thought at the time maybe they could have saved themselves the time and expense.

The ZX10R wheel isn't a design fault but a manufacturing one. When some of them were cast it wasn't done quite right and it's made the wheels to porous that's why they are cracking. There have only been 3 cases world wide but best to be safe than sorry they are gonna change 'em all.

well then you know that there are some comfy sensible usable bikes out there. still i wouldn't mind manufacturers remembering that us females also ride bikes as most things are too tall and too heavy for me.

The point that I made is that manufacturers don't consider comfort, economy, useability, and practicality as a priority when they make bikes.

Comfortable, real world bikes are fairly thin on the ground.

They do exist....but you don't have anything like the choice that you would have if you wanted a sportsbike.

That was the point I was making.

great post alan! i agree with you 100%. they need to forget about all these 'latest...extreme bikes( :roll: ) and build some real world road bikes again. these race reps arent road bikes, they're race bikes and thats where they should stay! i think that's one of the major problems nowadays, everything from the race tracks is getting so close to the roads you can hardly tell them apart......knee down idiots with no thought for others, bikes way beyond most riders capabilities, one piece suited rossi wannabes, 160mph(and more!)... the list goes on. real world bikes such as the old fazers, xj's, xt's etc.. are whats needed. funny you should mention 'the chinese are coming' my old man predicts they are going to be the next big players in road bikes...

The Chinese hopefully will pay close attention to the market needs, & produce Road Bikes that are a bit more Real World friendly :wink:

Of course, they still have to live down those Quality Issues :wink:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online