Carb vent tube leaking

JohnMe2
This post is 4814 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I just took my '05 V-Star 650 with 2K original miles out of winter storage (garaged). I left the bowls filled all winter (4 months) with the fuel shut off with stabulized gasoline (the 10% ethanol crap that they sell now). It started fine, but there is gasoline coming from the carburetor vent tube that ends behind the air cleaner. I had dripping gasoline and a puddle after it ran only a few minutes. What causes this? The service manual does not give any troubleshooting for carb problems. It only has the instructions for performing the service so I don't know what needs to be done to correct the problem. I tried running the carb bowls dry twice to try to unstick the floats if that was the problem. Both times the same result. Nothing leaked from the tube when the fuel shutoff was in the off position. When I started the bike with the fuel turned on, gas again began leaking from the vent tube. I can tell you that this only happens when the bike is running. When the bike isn't running, nothing leaks from the tube even with the fuel valve turned on. I also tried "burping" the fuel tank by removing the fill cap in case it had some how build up some pressure from temperature changes during storage. I bought the bike last summer used with 1K miles and am new to riding and need help. Is this a repair yourself condition, or does it have to go back to the dealer? The dealer choice could be a pain because it will have to be trailered because it can't be ridden the way it is. I have rebuilt carbs before on lawnmowers and snowblowers before. I don't see that would be much difference here as long as somebody can tell me with some assurance that it will fix the problem. Would a float and needle valve and seat replacement fix the problem? If it is limited to the float and needle and seat, I won't need to re-sync the carbs. Please don't guess. If you have had this happen to you and can say a positive yes, or no, I would sure appreciate the help.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Cross your fingers and give the carbs a tap with the wooden shaft of a hammer, this may just un-stick the float / needle valve and save a carb removal and strip.

...Paul

Thanks Paul, this happens now and then to the TTR, normally just turning the fuel off, then on again sorts it, but next time I'll wack it with a fence post!

Thanks guys, what both of you just said seems to point to a stuck float and/or needle. People I know have been pointing me in the same direction and blame the crappy gas they sell now. So far it has been 100% with the same diagnosis. Your input helped and makes me feel better that it will be an easy fix. I'll give the bowls some gentle taps and still try turning the gas off and running the bowls dry a couple of more times. I'm half a century old and this is my first bike. I have a lot to learn and you have been very helpful.

Thanks guys, what both of you just said seems to point to a stuck float and/or needle. People I know have been pointing me in the same direction and blame the crappy gas they sell now. So far it has been 100% with the same diagnosis. Your input helped and makes me feel better that it will be an easy fix. I'll give the bowls some gentle taps and still try turning the gas off and running the bowls dry a couple of more times. I'm half a century old and this is my first bike. I have a lot to learn and you have been very helpful.

don't be too grateful or their heads will swell, necessatating them to buy new helmets and thus get pissed off with the expense and then stop being helpful on the forum and then other peeps miss out and all because of YOU!! :P

don't be too grateful or their heads will swell, necessatating them to buy new helmets and thus get pissed off with the expense and then stop being helpful on the forum and then other peeps miss out and all because of YOU!! :P

You say the sweetest things.....

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, here you go everyone. The problem is fixed and here is how I did it. I kept trying the tapping and running the bowls dry and re-filling them by turning the line petcock on and off. It wasn't helping. I went back to a product that I learned about 30 years ago. If you have this problem from the crap ethanol gas that they have now, add 2 ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil to the gas tank (5 gallons of gas). Continue to run the bowls dry and then refilling them with the gas line shutoff. I did it twice a day for three days until the Mystery Oil loosened up the needles in the carbs and the leaking stopped. So far it has been a couple of weeks and there is no sign of the leaking. I'd say that it is fixed for good. From now on, I will run that stuff all the time in the fuel at half the recommended amount so I have protection all the time. When I store the bike in the winter, I will add the recommendated concentration to the fuel for the extra protection. This easily saved me $350 minimum if I would have had to have the bike serviced by a mechanic, or $100 in parts and a day of time to do it myself. If you try this stuff, be patient. It will take a couple of days to work it's magic. Run the bike at least once a day to get it circulating in the carbs. After a couple of days everything should be back to working like it should.

Oh, by the way. The bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil only cost $4. Well worth trying if you have this problem and if you can fix it yourself in a couple of days. It is better than waiting for weeks for an appointment with a mechanic.

• 1 year later...

Ok, here you go everyone. The problem is fixed and here is how I did it. I kept trying the tapping and running the bowls dry and re-filling them by turning the line petcock on and off. It wasn't helping. I went back to a product that I learned about 30 years ago. If you have this problem from the crap ethanol gas that they have now, add 2 ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil to the gas tank (5 gallons of gas). Continue to run the bowls dry and then refilling them with the gas line shutoff. I did it twice a day for three days until the Mystery Oil loosened up the needles in the carbs and the leaking stopped. So far it has been a couple of weeks and there is no sign of the leaking. I'd say that it is fixed for good. From now on, I will run that stuff all the time in the fuel at half the recommended amount so I have protection all the time. When I store the bike in the winter, I will add the recommendated concentration to the fuel for the extra protection. This easily saved me $350 minimum if I would have had to have the bike serviced by a mechanic, or $100 in parts and a day of time to do it myself. If you try this stuff, be patient. It will take a couple of days to work it's magic. Run the bike at least once a day to get it circulating in the carbs. After a couple of days everything should be back to working like it should.

Hi: Please forgive me for my ignorance here. What is meant by this statement? "Continue to run the bowls dry and then refilling them with the gas line shutoff. "

Does this mean that I try to start my bike with the gas line turned off, until the bike dies due to no gas, then turn the valve back on to refill bowls, the turn the valve off, start, and let bike die again?

Another question: I'm a little concerned about trying to start my bike when gas is leaking out of the carb, making a puddle under the bike. Is there any danger here where fire is concerned?

I have a 2002 V Star 650 with only 2500 miles, and I'm having same problem, and would really like to avoid the hassle/expense factor to take it to the dealer. I don't mind going through this process, but as a woman who has limited riding experience, want to make sure I do it right. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online