XVS 650 Dragstar 1997

cruiser650
This post is 5080 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok all,

Thought I'd change the oil filter today but didn't get very far !!

Removed the "Yamaha" cover with 3 Allen bolts on the right hand side and thought the filter element was under there. Well it may be? but I couldn't see it ?? Just more screws and a nut !

Do I need to remove the larger cover --hand size-- or the whole right hand size casing ?

I've got V&H Short Shots and was hoping not to remove them but at a bit of a loss now.

Someone must have changed their own filter or do you all let the garage do it ??

Thanks. :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ok all,

Removed the "Yamaha" cover with 3 Allen bolts on the right hand side and thought the filter element was under there. Well it may be? but I couldn't see it ?? Just more screws and a nut !

Do I need to remove the larger cover --hand size-- or the whole right hand size casing ?

I've got V&H Short Shots and was hoping not to remove them but at a bit of a loss now.

Someone must have changed their own filter or do you all let the garage do it ??

Hi, i changed mine for the first time at the weekend, when you take off that exterior casing with the 3 bolts you're confronted with another 3 bolts inside, remove those and also 2 more further along the casing (towards the front tire) the whole thing should come off now, remember to cover the pipes if necessary and put oil pan down as quite a bit will come out. i changed the oil filter and replaced casing but now have a problem of my own, i ran it for a while and it looked all good however, the next day went on a ride and noticed after about 4 miles that it was now pissing out oil. i have heat wrap on my pipes and it has soaked in and is now smoking like a bloody beagle in a laboratory! and oil still leaking out! i am trying to find a solution, don;t know if you have to grease up the seal or even if it needs a gasket.

As stated above.

Keep track of which bolts go where as they're different lengths.

Also, run a search for the links to workshop manuals.

Get one for your 650 Drag and follow that - Instructions make a world of difference!!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok all,

Well i got the oil leak sorted. remember, when you change the oil filter and put the new 'O' ring in, you have to grease it up well or it wont seal, hence oil pissing out! simple stuff unless you know how! be really liberal with the grease and build up about a half a centimetre layer.

hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

If you haven't already - get yourself a torque wrench - Draper do one for about £20 which is ideal.

A good trick for keeping track of the bolts is to roughly draw the shape of the case your removing onto a piece of card and as you remove the bolts poke them through the card in their respective places.

Mixing up the bolts (one is 70mm one is 75mm!) and over tightening can crack the crank-case which is an £800 part + gaskets and labour could write off an old draggie...

A "friend" did this to my old draggie when I first got it - i don't speak to him anymore!

Well i got the oil leak sorted. remember, when you change the oil filter and put the new 'O' ring in, you have to grease it up well or it wont seal, hence oil pissing out! simple stuff unless you know how! be really liberal with the grease and build up about a half a centimetre layer.

hope this helps

Thanks for reply, still haven't got round to it yet. When you say grease up the o ring, is it any particular type of grease as I just run a bit of oil over car oil filter o rings, didn't realise bikes were different !! :unsure:

Thanks for reply, still haven't got round to it yet. When you say grease up the o ring, is it any particular type of grease as I just run a bit of oil over car oil filter o rings, didn't realise bikes were different !! :unsure:

not sure what type of grease it was as my mechanic friend gave it me. alternatively i have just redone it this weekend with a tube of instant gasket. it costs arouns £4 and will form a proper seal, also dead easy to use. no leaks now!

• 4 weeks later...

not sure what type of grease it was as my mechanic friend gave it me. alternatively i have just redone it this weekend with a tube of instant gasket. it costs arouns £4 and will form a proper seal, also dead easy to use. no leaks now!

OK, i'm back and with the same problem, the instant gasket didn't work neither did the grease nor anything else. for anyone attempting an oil change you MUST READ THIS! i am now going to tell you why non of the above worked! i didn't keep track of which bolts go where and consequently put them back in the wrong holes! what this did was indeed damage the crankcase, ruined the threads and the bolts and also broke off a bit of the case which is now inside my engine, now, when this 'bit' gets into something important which i am told it will do eventually i hope it;s not something that stops the oil from going through as it will then write off a £2500 pride and joy motorcycle due to my own f*ckin stupidity trying to save a few quid! please learn from my mistakes, don't reply calling me a tw*t because believe me, i already know and am quite literally kicking my own head in! i am going to give myself such a beating that i might actually get done for assault!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the info guys, bought a Haynes manual, oil and filter changed ok apart from stripping the thread on one bolt--the one at the top/front--longest one, but goes all the way through the housing and was able to buy a 10mm longer one and put a nut on the end !! all good now. Good tip about drawing the position of the bolts and pushing them through the cardboard cutout--can't go wrong !

Bad luck Bikercross, hope all is well now. :blink: