V-Star 650 carb vent tube leak

JohnMe2
This post is 5109 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I just took my '05 V-Star 650 with 2K original miles out of winter storage (garaged). I left the bowls filled all winter (4 months) with the fuel shut off with stabulized gasoline. It started fine, but there is gasoline coming from the carburetor vent tube that ends behind the air cleaner. I had dripping gasoline and a puddle after it ran only a few minutes. What causes this? Is a repair yourself condition, or does it have to go back to the dealer. The dealer choice could be a pain because it will have to be trailered because it can't be ridden the way it is. The service manual does not give any troubleshooting for carb problems. It only has the instructions for performing the service so I don't know what needs to be done to correct the problem. I bought the bike last summer used with 1K miles and am new to riding and need help.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Has the fuel tap got an OFF position if so try running the bike with the tap Off until the engine stops and then try turning the tap on. It sounds like the float has stuck or you have a bit of dirt on the float valve causing the leak or you could try turning the tap off and draining the carb floatbowl and then turning the tap on.Tony

Hi YPVS Tone and anyone else that may know the answer,

I just tried it. Acually I tried running the carb bowls dry twice. Both times the same result. Nothing leaked from the tube when the fuel shutoff was in the off position. When I started the bike with the fuel turned on, gas again began leaking from the vent tube. I can tell you that this only happens when the bike is running. When the bike isn't running, nothing leaks from the tube even with the fuel valve turned on. I also tried "burping" the fuel tank by removing the fill cap in case it had some how build up some pressure from temperature changes during storage.

• 1 month later...

I'm having the exact same problem. Same bike, same year. Turn on the ignition, and fuel streams out of the vent tube behind the air filter.

Tried what was already recommended,to no avail. Any other thoughts?

Thanks.

Letting the float bowls empty and then filling them up again might not free a sticking float, you might have to phisicaly move them with your finger as something might be trapping them from lifting to the right level.

If it is doing the leeking out the tube with the ignition just turned on and the bike not started then could it be something to do with the fuel pump/prime, (not even sure if this bike has one ---- sounds like it does).

I posted the same problem in two places. Look for the same subject under the other forum subject of Street bikes / Sport bikes. I fixed the problem with two ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil added to the full tank of gas. You can get it at an auto supply store or Walmart (it is in a red bottle - 16 oz) It took three days to work, but it is fixed now. I described what I did in the other forum section.

Good luck. I was upset when I first started the bike for the season, but I feel a lot better now that it is fixed. You should be able to fix this problem yourself. Be patient and let the stuff do its job. I didn't have to take anything apart. I had the same problem with the snow blower when I put it away for the season and the Mystery oil fixed that after three days of consecutive running the bowls dry with the gas shutoff and then refilling them.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I am familiar with MMO from the days when I could only afford vehicles with over 100K miles on them. Always worked wonders on them :)

If the fuel is not leaking with the petrol tap switched on and the engine not running, but leaks with the fuel tap switched on and the engine running, than in all probability your bike has a vacuum operated fuel tap.

That aside, your actual problem is most likely that one or both of the float valves are not seating correctly; either because of a sticking float holding them open, or an accumulation of unwanted deposits around the float needle tip caused by fuel evaporation over the winter, or a piece of debris preventing the tip itself from fully seating.

If MMO does not work or is not locally available the carbs or if you are lucky, just the carb float bowls will have to be removed to allow inspection of the fuel valve seat which is screwed into the carb body, and the valve needle tip itself, which in all likelihood will be attached to the float mechanism.

If your bike does not come with Viton tipped fuel valves as standard, they would certainly be a good long term investment to prevent or reduce this type of problem occurring in the future.

ric