360 RT oil fouled plugs

brewsky
This post is 5291 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Trying to start this basket case after rebuilding carb and putting back together.

Will hit a time or two with help from starter fluid but then plugs immediately are oil fouled, with excess oil leaking from exhaust port.

I'm guessing the wd40 and oil i put in the plug hole to free the rings may be the problem? The bike had been sitting for 15 years.

I got 110# compression (cold), spark, and fuel.

If there is excess oil in the bottom end, how to get it out?

Or any other suggestions?

TIA

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Trying to start this basket case after rebuilding carb and putting back together.

Will hit a time or two with help from starter fluid but then plugs immediately are oil fouled, with excess oil leaking from exhaust port.

I'm guessing the wd40 and oil i put in the plug hole to free the rings may be the problem? The bike had been sitting for 15 years.

I got 110# compression (cold), spark, and fuel.

If there is excess oil in the bottom end, how to get it out?

Or any other suggestions?

TIA

Sounds like you need new piston rings

Sounds like you need new piston rings

I don't believe the rings were stuck to begin with, just sprayed some oil in for insurance.

I was hoping to get by without doing the top end.

I can see still some cross hatching on the cyl walls thru the exhaust, and what I can see of the rings look ok.

Any Idea what the compression should be?

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got it to fire after many kicks, plug cleanings and starter fluid spray shots!

Shot oil out the exhaust for 20 feet or more!

The Owner must have poured oil into the plug hole before it was stored 15 years ago.

Finally got it cleared out and no more oil fouling.

Now to sort out the carb...will idle and rev up with enrichner on, but won't idle with it off.

Enrichner lever "down" = enrichner "on" correct?

Also need to free up the clutch discs which are stuck.

Finally got it to fire after many kicks, plug cleanings and starter fluid spray shots!

Shot oil out the exhaust for 20 feet or more!

The Owner must have poured oil into the plug hole before it was stored 15 years ago.

Finally got it cleared out and no more oil fouling.

Now to sort out the carb...will idle and rev up with enrichner on, but won't idle with it off.

Enrichner lever "down" = enrichner "on" correct?

Also need to free up the clutch discs which are stuck.

Runs with choke but not without, sounds like pilot jet blocked or partially blocked, could do with a thorough carb clean and blow out with compressed air to be sure.

Clutch plates stuck, may require stripping dowwn but sometimes if you can get the engine running properly and nice and hot then they may free up. Get engine hot, stop engine select a high gear, pull in clutch and push the motorcycle along.

worth a try before pulling the clutch cover off.

A transmission oil change is also highly recommended.

I've already cleaned the carb best I could without submerging in an agitating cleaner machine.

I was afraid to do that since there are some hardened plastic pieces that retain the floats on their posts and one that guides the slide in the body, thinking they may crumble on removal and they are not available for replacement as far as I know.

Placing them with the plastic floats in carb cleaning solution might also damage them?

I didn't replace the enrichner plunger since it looked ok, but I did get a new o-ring for the main jet tube.

Blew out all passages with carb cleaner and compressed air. Looks like I will be doing it again.

Already tried the rolling in gear when hot, but no luck, so I've ordered a gasket set and will dig into the clutch basket.

Thanks for the reply, Oldgit, Was hoping I was backwards on the choke lever operation, but I don't think so.