1996 dt125r...struggling !!

This post is 5302 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Folks

I've just acquired a 1996 dt125r with 11000 miles. the bike is in really good condition but has been sitting in a garage for 2 years without ever being started. imagine my surprise when after 15 mins of kicking....it started!!! i was amazed at this.

However.......2 problems.......as follows:

First, the lights work but are very dim when on idle. on revving they are fine. when i turn on the indicators they dont flash on idle but they do when the bike is revved. im assuming it simply need a new battery. Is this likely to be right???

Secondly, the bike has a power pipe fitted and in gears 1-4 it takes off like a hare and is very quick, but in 5th and 6th even on a flat road it seems to die a bit. It doesnt give the impression it's gonna quit but it simply has no life in it. this happens as low as 40-45mph. I havent added any petrol to the bike so the stuff in it is 2 years old or more. Is this a likely cause? or is there something else i need to do? There is no restrictor on the bike.

Otherwise im amazed that its going so well bearing in mind how long it has been sitting for.

Any help would be appreciated.

Chris

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
Guest MaD.VeZ

Hi,

1:The lights may just be a battery issue, either charge the battery or run the bike for a while to see if it holds a charge (maybe test the voltage if you have a meter). But iirc the lights are powered by the flywheel generator via the rectifier, so the rectifier could be the issue(sounds like it is, with them working when you rev the bike). I will check the manual when i get home and get back to you or someone else may post with a more definitive answer before then.

2:It could be a fuel blockage somewhere from the old fuel. Check the fuel filters (they are attached to the fuel tap inside the tank and also on the inlet to the carb) and renew the fuel. Check the air filter also. If it is a fuel blockage i would expect problems in all gears not just the higher end. If the old fuel is full of crud then a carb clean may be on the cards to make sure the jets are clean etc. If it was my bike i would clean all the fuel system just for piece of mind.

There is the possibility it is an electrical issue causing your both your problems. When you know its not a fuel issue then you can start the electrical diagnosis if needed, as imo just going straight for the electrics may not solve it as it could be both fuel and electrics and the fuel system is easier to start with.

Vez.

Hi MaD.VeZ

I'd be grateful for any help you can give me on this. I'm not particularly gifted in the technical department and don't really have the ability to replace/repair things like this!!

Chris

Folks

I've just acquired a 1996 dt125r with 11000 miles. the bike is in really good condition but has been sitting in a garage for 2 years without ever being started. imagine my surprise when after 15 mins of kicking....it started!!! i was amazed at this.

However.......2 problems.......as follows:

First, the lights work but are very dim when on idle. on revving they are fine. when i turn on the indicators they dont flash on idle but they do when the bike is revved. im assuming it simply need a new battery. Is this likely to be right???

Secondly, the bike has a power pipe fitted and in gears 1-4 it takes off like a hare and is very quick, but in 5th and 6th even on a flat road it seems to die a bit. It doesnt give the impression it's gonna quit but it simply has no life in it. this happens as low as 40-45mph. I havent added any petrol to the bike so the stuff in it is 2 years old or more. Is this a likely cause? or is there something else i need to do? There is no restrictor on the bike.

Otherwise im amazed that its going so well bearing in mind how long it has been sitting for.

Any help would be appreciated.

Chris

2 year old fuel...yuk!! drain it arnd fill with fresh. I've rcently got one of these bikes and my lights are also dim on idle, they even go out with engine stopped so they are obviously not fed from the battery.

The indicators are though and they work fine from the battery.

2 year old fuel...yuk!! drain it arnd fill with fresh. I've rcently got one of these bikes and my lights are also dim on idle, they even go out with engine stopped so they are obviously not fed from the battery.

The indicators are though and they work fine from the battery.

Chris, like Madvez says.

OG, im not sure but i think my light stays on even with the engine stopped. It is very dim on idle but ok when reved.

Chris, like Madvez says.

OG, im not sure but i think my light stays on even with the engine stopped. It is very dim on idle but ok when reved.

My definitely dont stay on, if i kill the engine the lights front and back go out, they must be both generator fed...not very good for a 2003 bike eh?

even my 1979 DT has the rear light from the battery and a pilot light from the battery up front. :angry:

My definitely dont stay on, if i kill the engine the lights front and back go out, they must be both generator fed...not very good for a 2003 bike eh?

even my 1979 DT has the rear light from the battery and a pilot light from the battery up front. mad.gif

Hmmm that's odd, you might have to change that. Isnt there some stupid law that says you need lights front and back if parked in a unlit street.

Mine are staying on with the ig on. Have you parking lights front and back?

Hmmm that's odd, you might have to change that. Isnt there some stupid law that says you need lights front and back if parked in a unlit street.

Mine are staying on with the ig on. Have you parking lights front and back?

Chris, disregard my last post about the lights staying on with the engine not started, it appears some dodgy wireing has been done to my bike.

Your lights should work the same way as Oldgitonabike's lights do.

A new battery will probably be needed for your bike, this will sort out your indicators propperly.

Regarding your other prob, For piece of mind, I would

1) flush the fuel tank and clean the filters at the bottom of it.

2) then just follow the pipes from the fuel tank to the carb, take them off and blow them out.

3) clean filter in the inlet spigot on the carb

4) open the drain screw on float bool and let old fuel flow out then retighten

5) at this stage you could reconect enerything, new fuel and try again before you go working on the carb. If no better performance is had then well clean the carb.

Sorry for hi-jacking your post talking about lights.

Folks

I'm getting a new battery today. Yesterday I drained the old fuel and replaced with new stuff. I also put in a whole bottle of STP Carburettor Treatment. I know it says to just put a bit in but under the circumstances I took a chance and just put it all in with a gallon of unleaded!! lol

Hopefully the battery will improve things tonight.

Incidentally...another lighting issue....the dipped beam appears to be at the correct level but the full beam appears to be pointing to the sky for some reason. It is definitely very high. Is this easily adjusted???

Many thanks for all your enthusiasm to help me. I really appreciate it.

Best Wishes

Chris

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online