torque wrench setting xt660z

This post is 5151 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Can someone advise me the correct torque wrench setting for the xt660z tenere engine oil, drain plug, hand book states 30nm, that seemes rather tight. just thought id double check as changed the oil yesterday although when using a new washer, it seems to be getting tight, but its as the washers compressing. just tightened it to 25nm in the end, but obviously dont want it to come loose.

any advice appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Is your bike the XT660Z or the XTZ660 ?? they are not the same...... although I can't see the sump plug being any different.

Here's a link to a page from the workshop manual for you -> Oil Change Linky

Ooppps

The Engine Oil Header Tank Drain Bolt (the one next to the exhaust header pipes) is 18Nm

Remember these bikes have a semi-dry sump, so put your measured oil into the header tank (removing the plastic side cover is a big help when doing this) then run the bike for 20 minutes or so before checking the level.

For a bike so easily fixed at the roadside, changing the oil is a complete sod of a job!

Thankyou again Gas up, it is a fiddly job similar to my old xt, length of hose pipe , funnel and supposed to fill the tank initially with 1.9 l of oil, then start and tip the other 0.6 l in after the levels dropped so being clever thought id just tip that little more in, big mistake too much, so theres the funnel filled with oil not going anywhere, hose pipe in the hole, so thought take it out and the oils gonna go everywhere, so i just pushed the starter and thought it should just go down, Wrong! blew all the oil back out the funnel over me and the fuel tank and everywhere! funny really, will get it right next time :lol: