Aerox YQ50 Cooling sytem

RMS
This post is 4271 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi

I am new to this forumn

My son have bought a Aerox YQ50 Scooter and we are having problems with the cooling system

( I am not experienced with liquid cooled bikes)

We have a leak from the water pump into the casing behind I have a W/P repair kit on its way.

Hopfully the repair will fix the leak. I have also noticed that there is a "Thermo Switch" coming out

of the head which is disconnected. When it is reconnected the red warning light (no gauge) comes on

even when cold.

A What does the switch do? does it just indicate when the engine is hot or does it switch on the water pump?

B Does the water pump work all the time or at a set temp?

C Is it likley the switch is duff

D Is there a Thermostat Do I need to take the head off to get to it Presumably it opens up at a set temp

to allow full flow of water

Any Help whould be of great help in stopping we look a fool to my 16 year old Son

Regards Richard

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
Guest MaD.VeZ

Hi

I am new to this forumn

My son have bought a Aerox YQ50 Scooter and we are having problems with the cooling system

( I am not experienced with liquid cooled bikes)

We have a leak from the water pump into the casing behind I have a W/P repair kit on its way.

Hopfully the repair will fix the leak. I have also noticed that there is a "Thermo Switch" coming out

of the head which is disconnected. When it is reconnected the red warning light (no gauge) comes on

even when cold.

A What does the switch do? does it just indicate when the engine is hot or does it switch on the water pump?

B Does the water pump work all the time or at a set temp?

C Is it likley the switch is duff

D Is there a Thermostat Do I need to take the head off to get to it Presumably it opens up at a set temp

to allow full flow of water

Any Help whould be of great help in stopping we look a fool to my 16 year old Son

Regards Richard

Hi Richard and welcome.

Im not familiar with the scoot in question but i can answer a few basic principles.

A: It's usually just a visual indication of when the scoot overheats so you pull over and let it cool.

B: The pump should run all the time the engine is, unless its a really bad design, but thats unlikely.

C: Depends on the design of the switch. Usually they are just a simple bi-metal switch like you have in your Iron or kettle and don't break often due to their simplistic design. But there may be more complex designs around.

D: Yes there should be a Thermostat, possibly in the head, i don't know to be honest. When a thermostat breaks they tend to stay in the open position though.

E: Parents always look like a fool to teenage kids no matter what they do, if it isn't this it will be something else .. its an age thing. But i'm probably preaching to the choir :lol:

Hope this helps.

Vez.

• 5 months later...

Hey, I had this problem with my aerox at one stage.. DONT drive it till you fix it first of all.. Down where the water pump is theres 3 bolts(Allen key fixtures) Take them off.. Theres 3 small and 3 bigger.. Take the 6 of them off.. Take out the water pump and theres a tiny rubber seal, Go to any seal shop, Pick up a new one put everything back together and see what happens.. Thats what was wrong with my own one.. By the way make sure all the gaskets are there.. I had that problem at one stage too lol

Sorry for the second post, But theres a wire going into the head next to the spark plug for the thermostat. Make sure thats connected, Im 16 myself and built my bike.. I know alot about aerox's. Tell your son to watch the thermostat at all times.. If it heats up stop the bike.. By the way your gonna loose all your water/coolant while taking out the water pump.. When your refilling it make sure the system has no air locks or you might as well have nothing to cool it down.

• 1 year later...

Hi Richard. The thermostat sensor will be faulty which operates the red light, pump runs all the time. Take head off to get to the thermostat which is held in by two screws, take it out n run bike without it gives better water flow. Fit head back on with new gaskets. Should fix the problem

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online