XV 250 route 66 - PLEASE HELP!

rusvalerius
This post is 4781 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Last year I bought what was described as a "very good condition" 1988 model of the xv250 route 66 rare american import. It was sat in the garage for the good part of last 10 years unused before the owners decided to clear some space. It misfired a few times initially but nothing to raise any serious suspicions - started and ran fine. Approx 4!! month in after running like a clock the problems started - while going 60 or so mph- very specific to this case - the bike would choke as i would open the throttle. Had it serviced - they removed a bucket full of rust from the fuel system - turned out that the bottom of the tank corroded. Then it would run fine for a week or so and then out of the blue - same thing again. Typically if i let it sit for a few days - i could get a good day of riding - but if i went out on it for two or more days in a row - it would inevitably choke up half way at the lights. Promptly after being advised by the mechanics i etched out the rust from the tank - lined it with epoxy - flushed the fuel system - put filter in. The fuel pump and carburettor cleaned thoroughly and are now squeaky clean - not a trace of any unwanted deposits. Same again - open the throttle - the bike chokes! Idling is fine - spark plugs new and dry when checked - get the spark no prob. Last thing i tried - new rectifier regulator - to no avail. Running out of ideas (me, my mates and mechanics) - this was meant to be a simple straight forward bike. Has any one come across anything similar please?? Any ideas apart from selling it for scrap metal? Please help

Best

Val

• 1 year later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I recently got fork oil all over the bike putting in new seals. Must have gotten on the kick stand switch, and or clutch switch. It would idle fine, rev fine in neutral, but, put it in gear and engage clutch and rev, NO. Put in gear and drive, fine up to about 45mph. Choke, cough, spit and backfire thru the carb. After a good washing, and drying, mine stopped doing the same thing.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online