XTs Aren't Perfect

XT Alan
This post is 6546 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just in case you all think that I am too biased, I should point out that the XT is hard work on Motorways. 75 mph+ over any distance is seriously hard work and it kills your arms: It + rider have the aerodynamics of a brick. If you are into big fast tarmaced/paved distance work the XTs are not as good as dedicated tourer. On a weekend to the South of France and back any half decent faired road bike would kill the XT. blow it into the weeds. If, on the other hand, you are planning to cross Africa between January and April, the XT is the right tool for the job.

Additional Edit - On my recent trip to Scotland 150 Motorway miles were tolerable because we kept to 75 mph and we were fresh. Day in day out would be a different matter entirely.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

NO Bike is perfect Alan :wink: .......but I think the XT has enough good points to make up for any short-comings 8)

It is hard work at sustained motorway speeds, but it's not the type of riding that I like, and it's rare that I ever have to do it.

For all other scenarios it pretty much fits the bill.

I hired an XT660 while in crete and was quite shocked at how poor the motor felt. granted it inly had 800 kms on the clock, but it felt quite rough in comparison to the old 600 and not really that much quicker.

i still like the old 600, but the holding an xt at speed issue i can see what you mean, mine feels awfull and is not comfy.

my CRM250ar is better on a motorway at speed believe it or not, but my XT is certainly a bit better on fuel at 90 than the CRM

I have no point of comparison between the new and the old XTs What I can say, is that the new XT's engine take a heck of a lot of running in. Mine still feels tight even at 2000 miles +.

It is pretty smooth up to about 75 mph, but at 80+ the engine is VERY rough.

Speed wise, it is brisk not fast. It'll run with a Golf GTI and the like up to about 70 then lose out completely above this speed. Any road bike 500cc and above will slaughter it in straight line acceleration. Top speed will be 100 mph on the clock I reckon, but in reality this will translate to 95 mph tops. Slow in these modern times. My CB1300 was barely working at 100mph+ on a wiff of throttle.

Like I said, ithe XT is a great bike, but it isn't perfect.

You're right about the loosening up the motor Alan.

Mine was very tight when I got it at 1600 miles. The guy had never been out of Haverfordwest on it in a year. Just pottered it round the town, so never really warmed up and never ridden hard.

But consistent thrashing and continual oilchanges have transformed it by 4200 miles.

One thing I've noticed about the XT...it takes a long time to really get warmed up. But the longer and harder you ride it, the better it goes. It just thrives on being revved.

Hey Alan...maybe an idea when we meet up next to try each others bikes for a couple of miles?

Then we'll see the differences.

Definitely good for some comparitive Note-Taking 8)

I used to swap with a mate of mine occassionally......My 550 Seca for his FJ600 (Similar to LC's XJ).....For 2 bikes with basically the same platform, there sure was a handful of subtle differences :wink:

Hey Alan...maybe an idea when we meet up next to try each others bikes for a couple of miles?

Then we'll see the differences.

Sorry Pete,

This is something I never do. Golden Rule: never let anyone ride your bike and never ride anyone elses, unless they don't care if you drop it or whatever.

Wasn't today perfect? One of the only completely great summer days this year.

I'm exactly the same Alan....I only make an exception for people that I know can ride. So consider yourself one of the chosen few! :lol:

And yes, lovely day, we just had a little spin over Devil's Bridge cafe again.

• Admin

My mate has begged me for months to ride my bike, BUT NO WAY! he cant ride for $hit! :shock:

• 1 year later...

Just in case you all think that I am too biased, I should point out that the XT is hard work on Motorways. 75 mph+ over any distance is seriously hard work and it kills your arms: It + rider have the aerodynamics of a brick. If you are into big fast tarmaced/paved distance work the XTs are not as good as dedicated tourer. On a weekend to the South of France and back any half decent faired road bike would kill the XT. blow it into the weeds. If, on the other hand, you are planning to cross Africa between January and April, the XT is the right tool for the job.

Additional Edit - On my recent trip to Scotland 150 Motorway miles were tolerable because we kept to 75 mph and we were fresh. Day in day out would be a different matter entirely.

Hi, a friend and me have both bought the new XT 660 R. The wind is bad but we have put higher screens on, and not only does it stop 98% of the wind it also looks more like a Tourer. Regards Benjamin

• 8 months later...

Hi there

a time old debate. I have found the XT600 to be one of the best dirt bikes for the road that is if you do atualy wont to get it dirty at some piont. the problem is its a simpel bike cheply made from cheap materials but that is why i like it. For road use you need good tyers on balenced rims hevy bar waights and a larger front screan. alot like any bike then.

After climbing and desending a larg mountain and blasting down the fire roads to get on some sort of serfaced road the fact that it will atuall sit at 75-80mph is more than you can expect on the way home from work one thersday night. show me a road bike that will do that. one thing i wont miss is a bad back and crampt legs.

• 1 month later...

Hi all just to throw spanner in the works i have xt 600e 2001 model and am about to chuck a match on it. Have a problem with the solenoid stays engaged even if ripe the ignition plug out , give the starter a whack and its all good till next time you start it, and yes i have replaced solenoid and was all honky dory till i parked it up for 3 days and its all on again , any one gotany ideas as i am about to go off yamaha for good!

Hi all just to throw spanner in the works i have xt 600e 2001 model and am about to chuck a match on it. Have a problem with the solenoid stays engaged even if ripe the ignition plug out , give the starter a whack and its all good till next time you start it, and yes i have replaced solenoid and was all honky dory till i parked it up for 3 days and its all on again , any one gotany ideas as i am about to go off yamaha for good!

Hi ther

I have a 02 XT600e and have all the problems you have discibed and the rest i whent though 2 yamaha starter solinodes after much discuthion with my les than helpfull deler. i found the fix was a solinoed of a 1981 honda cm125. i had it lying around as a spare i had repard it befor and new it to be good.

so far it has worked fine. you can buy a derect replacement solinoid for as littel as £15.00 i had that one and it workes fine now for 2000m. but i wish the fucking thing had a kick starter!.

jim

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online