XJ 600 Choke/Gas leaking

mikedefelice33
This post is 5304 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

In the fall I purchased a 1993 Seca II. It wasn't running, due to sitting for three years, but I got it cheap and figured I'd take the chance. I just got around to taking apart and cleaning the carbs and plugs, and after two days, I've got her "running."

After putting it all back together and starting it up, it ran and I was happy as hell. I ran it on choke for a few minutes and when I put it on half choke or regular idle, it started leaking gas pretty fast. Underneath the carbs are these rubber gaskets with screw clamps on them which are called "Joint carb 4" on the diagram. They connect the carb to the engine joint. These are where the gas seems to be leaking from on cylinders 1 & 2. They seem pretty cracked from sitting in the New England weather and I was hoping they'd still work but I guess not.

So here are my questions:

Do you think just buying new rubber joint connectors would eliminate the gas leak problem?

Everything seemed to be in working order in the carbs, does it seem logical that gas would leak through the cracks of the joint when it is take off full choke?

If anyone has any information or advice, please send it along. It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Mike

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

First of all you shouldn't need the choke to start the bike unless its freezing cold, sounds like your inlet rubbers are the problem, if theyre cracked and perished then you will get small amounts of fuel leaking from them, a quick fix is to take them off-stretch a suitable diameter bycycle inner tube over them-sealing the edges with patch adhesive ;)

First of all you shouldn't need the choke to start the bike unless its freezing cold, sounds like your inlet rubbers are the problem, if theyre cracked and perished then you will get small amounts of fuel leaking from them, a quick fix is to take them off-stretch a suitable diameter bycycle inner tube over them-sealing the edges with patch adhesive ;)

Thanks for the quick response. I was thinking of some way to patch them and never thought of a bike tube. Thanks.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online