dt125 stalling

escie
This post is 5305 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi guys been running my 2001 dt in past few weeks passed the 100miles(only go to girlfriends really :P) mark this weekend new rider<<

just a few questions and help would really be appreciated as i have a problems. Dont know if im being stupid or the

bike is a bit knackered.

first problem is when i come to traffic lights i cant find neutral. mate of mine said i should be able to but it definitely wont go in to neutral. Someone said the clutch cud be broken (not cable) but i have no idea as i know nothing about bikes.

second problem when i got the bike it has a bodge job of a air filter on it. mate fitted a standard air filter to it and it ran fine. but when i get to lights and stop firstly i have to stay in first with hand on clutch. and if i dont keep the revs up it tends to cut out. im thinking it cud be to do with air intake perhaps? or the tick over is broken running rich or low anyway im not so good at explaining but will follow this topic and if anyone can help id be so happy especially if anyone is kind enough to take the time to explain to me what i should check and how to do it myself.

Thanks alot Sam :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

i remember there being holes in the air box when i looked at it few weeks ago maybe covering these up would help? think its some bodged attempt at getting more performance from previous owner perhaps.

escie, check your transmission oil level. There is a window below the kickstarter, stand the bike upright not on the stand. you should see the line of the level in the window. i suspect all you will see is oil (darkness) as in over full.

...Paul

escie, check your transmission oil level. There is a window below the kickstarter, stand the bike upright not on the stand. you should see the line of the level in the window. i suspect all you will see is oil (darkness) as in over full.

...Paul

ty for your reply. is it easy to drain oil out then? :D

ty for your reply. is it easy to drain oil out then? :D

It is mate, there is a 12mm bolt behind the rear brake pedal, it is about 75mm long.

Warm the engine first then undo the bolt, press the brake and you can remove the bolt. If you are canny you will not remove it fully just enough to get oil flowing out and then push it back when some has come out. All this is assuming there is too much in of course.

Tip hold the bike upright or oil will run back under your engine etc.

Tip 2 to re-check level you need to restart the engine briefly and then stop it, I dont know why this is but believe me the window will lie if you dont. ;)

It is mate, there is a 12mm bolt behind the rear brake pedal, it is about 75mm long.

Warm the engine first then undo the bolt, press the brake and you can remove the bolt. If you are canny you will not remove it fully just enough to get oil flowing out and then push it back when some has come out. All this is assuming there is too much in of course.

Tip hold the bike upright or oil will run back under your engine etc.

Tip 2 to re-check level you need to restart the engine briefly and then stop it, I dont know why this is but believe me the window will lie if you dont. ;)

wow thanks for that :) to be more of a pain just curious as to how this fixes the problem. thanks for your time :D

first problem is when i come to traffic lights i cant find neutral. mate of mine said i should be able to but it definitely wont go in to neutral.

but when i get to lights and stop firstly i have to stay in first with hand on clutch. and if i dont keep the revs up it tends to cut out.

Thanks alot Sam :)

wow thanks for that :) to be more of a pain just curious as to how this fixes the problem. thanks for your time :D

escie its always a guess but have lo look at what you said and what you said here could just mean clutch drag, either form too much oil or the wrong grade of oil or both.

There again it could easily be something else but its an easy check...just look in the round window a la sesame street :D

escie its always a guess but have lo look at what you said and what you said here could just mean clutch drag, either form too much oil or the wrong grade of oil or both.

There again it could easily be something else but its an easy check...just look in the round window a la sesame street :D

..or was it rainbow/ :unsure:

cheers :D bring on tomorrow :D

thanks Paul seems to really have done the trick. My bike still needs a good service and cleanup lots of little problems like really stiff clutch cable etc :((( but thanks again im very happy ^_^