dt175 mx

jebb
This post is 5304 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

when I pull the front brake on there seems to be play somewhere on the front end. It is definately not the headstock bearings so I'm assuming its the fork bushes (which I believe is a common problem). Can these be replaced or are the forks scrap?Is this an MOT failure? Need some help DTMX guru's

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Play in the front end could mean a fail.

you need to be certain its the forks though because play in the brake plate anchor groove or play in the bearings need to be eliminated before you condemn the forks.

lift the bike off the ground and weight the back so the front is airborne, I used to use a bottle crate with a lump of wood on it to do this but I have recently bought one of those proper lifting gadgets which is much better.

Grasp the tyre at the top and bottom and try rocking the wheel by pushing the top and pulling the bottom and so on. this will test the wheel bearings.

Turn the bars one way and the other check they are free and smooth.

Get help and someone to hold the bars steady and pull the brake, now push and pull the wheel get the helper to place a finger against the top heastock bearing cover and the headstock they will feel any free play that is there.

Now same again with the brake and helper, undo the bottom gaitor clips and slide the gaitor up, helper place a finger against the top dust cover and the stancheon, any play there.

Do this first lets find out for sure where the problem lies.

Thanks, there did seem to be play on the brake plate; I suppose I'll have to pack it out? Christ, I've bought 2 sets of forks, thought the buggers were knackered! Cheers

Well they may be but you need to be certain about the other things before you condemn them.

There are things inside the forks that can and should be replaced from time to time, Have a look in the parts manual (see parts manuals for yamaha bikes) sticky in workshop.

You will see in the DT175E manual

Item 16 2A6-23157-00-00 . RING, PISTON FRTFRK

I would replace these every now and again as well as the obvious seals at the top.

Not sure about the groove clearance though, if it does seem bad then you may have to pack it yes, the only problem is you dont want any packing in the bottom of the groove, at the front would be best.