New guy requesting help/advice

BillMac
This post is 5306 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys,

Just got myself a new (second hand) Dragstar after being away from bikes for a number of years. I was in the bike shop saw it, wanted so I bought it after some haggling with the missus, my excuse was that I am off to ride route66 with the brother in law in May and needed some practice.

This is not my first Dragstar but it came with all sorts of add ons already installed, the thing is, I cannot get over how noisy the exhaust is compared to my old bike. I have attached a few pics, can someone tell me what exhaust system is fitted? and/or why in the hell it is so noisy! maybe it is meant to be this noisy but I am getting a bit old for the head turning as I accelerate along the high street.

Many thanks for any help

Bill

24105_1385690203700_1275372281_3112.jpg

24105_1385690243701_1275372281_3112.jpg

24105_1385690323703_1275372281_3112.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hello Bill,

If I'm not mistaken, they look like Silvetails. If this is the case, we can get for around £55 each and they'll take the cutting noise away, without making them too quiet.

However, if you want a set, I'd advise looking for any markings that denote the word 'Silvertail', as it's rare they ever make a pipe without their logo.

Hope this helps,

Roy

You have a pair of [insert brand] slash-cut pipes fitted.

They have minimal baffles fitted and yes, they are supposed to be noisy - That's why people get them. My girlfriend has similar ones, for that very reason. They sound nice (like a Spitfire), but they're not for me.

Yours are quite nice, acyually - They have heat-shields on the pipes where your legs might touch. Not all custom pipes have those...

I still have the factory standard pipes on mine and they're beautifully quiet. Never any complaints from my neighbours when I roll home at all hours of the night.. and I have asked!!

Standard pipes can be found on eBay and the like, brand new for £150 or less.

BTW - Nice bike!!

Lots of fancy little accessories, there.

Any chance of a close-up pic of the front, just behind the forks?

Thanks for the info guys. Ttaskmaster I will get a picture for you at the weekend and post it, what area exactly are you interested in? Although I have had bikes on and off for many years I have not really got in to maintenance etc, do you have any suggestions on how I would go about dumbing down the noise the pipes make or is it even possible.

Thanks

Bill

I'm just curious as to teh horn assembly thing you have there.

Quietening pipes... Might be possible if you can open up the mufflers (or what passes for mufflers) at the back.

You can get stuff to put in there, like extra baffles, wire wool etc. Not something I'm too familiar with myself, but it might be possible depending on your model of pipes.

Or just get a set of standard ones and put them on.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online