125cc long trips/touring

Mark K
This post is 5164 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've noticed a lot of threads on whether a 125cc bike is capable of touring, so I thought I'd add my two penneth.

Based on my last 7 days, yes they are.

Over the last 7 days, I've covered 468 miles, none of it on motorways. I took a 4-stroke YBR-125 and I didn't have a single hiccup.

Last Saturday, 210 miles in 6hrs 15. South Wales to North Devon. Problems: none except chain had to be tightened a bit the next day. Mostly A and B roads.

Wednesday, 57 miles in 1hr 30, North Devon to South Devon. Problems: none. Mostly cross country A and B roads. No breaks.

Friday, 198 miles in 5hrs 50, South Devon to South Wales. Problems: none. Half on normal A roads, half Dual Carriageway A roads, maintaining around 60mph on duals.

Oil levels have hardly changed since leaving home. Haven't needed to top anything up.

MPG, approx 100. Getting 200 miles to a tank at a little under a tenner a tank.

The only real problem that occurs after about 80-100 miles... sore behind :), had to make a lot of short breaks to relieve a few sore parts!!

Also for those that have been wondering... yes it is possible to take a 125cc across the severn bridge on a L plate. There is a pedestrian/cycle path crossing the old Severn bridge next to the motorway (M48) which motorcycles up to 50cc (according to the sign) are allowed on. They let 125's across as well.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I've noticed a lot of threads on whether a 125cc bike is capable of touring, so I thought I'd add my two penneth.

Based on my last 7 days, yes they are.

Over the last 7 days, I've covered 468 miles, none of it on motorways. I took a 4-stroke YBR-125 and I didn't have a single hiccup.

Last Saturday, 210 miles in 6hrs 15. South Wales to North Devon. Problems: none except chain had to be tightened a bit the next day. Mostly A and B roads.

Wednesday, 57 miles in 1hr 30, North Devon to South Devon. Problems: none. Mostly cross country A and B roads. No breaks.

Friday, 198 miles in 5hrs 50, South Devon to South Wales. Problems: none. Half on normal A roads, half Dual Carriageway A roads, maintaining around 60mph on duals.

Oil levels have hardly changed since leaving home. Haven't needed to top anything up.

MPG, approx 100. Getting 200 miles to a tank at a little under a tenner a tank.

The only real problem that occurs after about 80-100 miles... sore behind :), had to make a lot of short breaks to relieve a few sore parts!!

Also for those that have been wondering... yes it is possible to take a 125cc across the severn bridge on a L plate. There is a pedestrian/cycle path crossing the old Severn bridge next to the motorway (M48) which motorcycles up to 50cc (according to the sign) are allowed on. They let 125's across as well.

i used to live by the severn bridge, myself and a mate went over to mid-wales one day (on L-plates, 15/16 years ago) and his bike broke down. So i gave him lift back pillion. I went on the cycle track and as you will not know, it is quite bumpy. Where the track changes from deck section-to-deck section, and i was doing 55mph (mad i know). Anyway i went over one of these changes and the bike pretty-much took off and my mate nearly came off the back. When i stopped to rejoin the road on the english side, he gave me a right good wack!!!! :rolleyes:

As for the rest of your post, totally agree on my rxs 100 i went all over the place, never had a problem doing 250-300 miles in a day, though once i passed my test it was easier as i could used the motorways if i needed to.

Yup, I occasionally get the gearshift problem.

When it first starts, clunks when it goes into 1st the first time.

From neutral to 1st, sometimes wont go in, just let clutch out and in once and it goes in no problem.

From 2nd to 1st, again, sometimes wont go, same solution, let clutch out and in, quick fix.

From 4th to 5th, very occasionally doesnt go into 5th first time, you declutch and come back in 4th again.

These are all things you get used to, and easy to work around once you understand its little quirks. Most often they occur either whilst the bike is still cold, or (as today) you've been thrashing it along a dual carriageway at 70mph.

As for the cycle path, Nutter!!!, its a 15mph limit :) (although i have to admit I was doing 25-30mph as nobody else was on it)

:D

Ten out of ten for using a 125.

i have a small-bore trip planned for the summer (cant wait!!)

did you take any pictures?? or come across any problems that we should know about?

motorways are shit if your not on a sports bike or a super missile... me i`d rather take the A & B roads anyday.

what kit did you take? and what did you forget to take that would of made life easier?

how did the bike handle with all your kit on it?

lots of questions i know... but this is my sort of thing and when i go, i want to get it right.

Ten out of ten for using a 125.

i have a small-bore trip planned for the summer (cant wait!!)

did you take any pictures?? or come across any problems that we should know about?

motorways are shit if your not on a sports bike or a super missile... me i`d rather take the A & B roads anyday.

what kit did you take? and what did you forget to take that would of made life easier?

how did the bike handle with all your kit on it?

lots of questions i know... but this is my sort of thing and when i go, i want to get it right.

I had family living in North Devon, and friends living in South Devon, so I didn't have to worry about the tent/sleeping bag bit.

The bike has a large back box fitted, and pretty much everything was crammed into there, overflow items went in my bike jacket, and a very small rucksack was in the box in case I needed more space. Don't forget the neck warmer and a windproof jacket is essential if you go this time of year!

Key things I had with me, RAC breakdown cover, bike disc lock, a 13/12mm spanner and philips screwdriver for chain adjustment, a 19mm spanner to loosen wheel nuts. Foldable Rucksack, Emergency blanket/crude first aid kit, UK Ordnance Survey map, wind up torch, phone charger, phone, then just the standard stuff in minimal form (clothes/bathroom gear). Only item I realised I forgot was a 17mm spanner for the opposite axle nut, fixed by adding an adjustable spanner to my box in South Devon.

The best sight I saw along the entire journey had to be the Clifton Suspension Bridge in Bristol, not so much for the bridge itself, but for the way it crosses between cliff faces that the road passes between down below, it really is impressive to look at.

The moment to remember on the trip has to be at Bristol Airport, where I went past the end of one of the runways and got a Top Gun moment, a large Easyjet jet came into land above me just as I passed by the beginning of the runway, you almost feel like you can reach out and touch it as it's so close.

As for handling, I didn't have too much weight on the back so didn't notice an awful lot of difference other than a slight lift of the front wheel when I pulled away at one of the roundabouts a bit too quickly, and a little bit more effort needed when cornering at speed going downhill.

Only photo I took was on the Severn Bridge I'm afraid, and didn't come out too amazingly.

there are many reasons to chose a 125 to do a trip,as well as many pros and cons not to, but the reasons for far outway the reasons not to.

my own reasons to use my 125 dragstar is comfort even after 200 miles i feel ok,where as on my fz600 i feel knackered and by back hurts,travelling at a slower speed i see a lot more of what is around me instead of everything just being a blur, but the biggest over riding factor is financial i can get twice as far on a 125 for the same outlay on petrol.

this year as last year i will be going to europe but this time on my 125 dragstar,it was after reading the book OLD MAN ON A BIKE a story by Simon Gandolfi never one to grow old gracefully and following two heart attacks he decides not to rest up, as many might, but to ride the length of Hispanic America on a 125cc motorbike. And why not? if he can do it at 73 yrs of age i am sure in my mid sixties it will be a walk in the park for me.

at the moment he is at the age of 77 against home office advise riding through the indian sub continent,

SimonGandolfi4.jpg

simon aged 73 in south america.

Nice we trip there Mark.

Pitty bout the sore arse though, it is a prob on smaller bikes.

Paded shorts that the cylcist ware---- i wonder might they help!

I had family living in North Devon, and friends living in South Devon, so I didn't have to worry about the tent/sleeping bag bit.

The bike has a large back box fitted, and pretty much everything was crammed into there, overflow items went in my bike jacket, and a very small rucksack was in the box in case I needed more space. Don't forget the neck warmer and a windproof jacket is essential if you go this time of year!

Key things I had with me, RAC breakdown cover, bike disc lock, a 13/12mm spanner and philips screwdriver for chain adjustment, a 19mm spanner to loosen wheel nuts. Foldable Rucksack, Emergency blanket/crude first aid kit, UK Ordnance Survey map, wind up torch, phone charger, phone, then just the standard stuff in minimal form (clothes/bathroom gear). Only item I realised I forgot was a 17mm spanner for the opposite axle nut, fixed by adding an adjustable spanner to my box in South Devon.

The best sight I saw along the entire journey had to be the Clifton Suspension Bridge in Bristol, not so much for the bridge itself, but for the way it crosses between cliff faces that the road passes between down below, it really is impressive to look at.

The moment to remember on the trip has to be at Bristol Airport, where I went past the end of one of the runways and got a Top Gun moment, a large Easyjet jet came into land above me just as I passed by the beginning of the runway, you almost feel like you can reach out and touch it as it's so close.

As for handling, I didn't have too much weight on the back so didn't notice an awful lot of difference other than a slight lift of the front wheel when I pulled away at one of the roundabouts a bit too quickly, and a little bit more effort needed when cornering at speed going downhill.

Only photo I took was on the Severn Bridge I'm afraid, and didn't come out too amazingly.

check out a pic of my bike in front of the suspension bridge:

IMAG0006.jpg

i know what you mean about top-gun moments at the airport, i live 10 minutes from there and often go down the A38, the planes really are just above the road, its quite a sight and noise.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online