Help Needed- Information for a Documentary

AndyDtr08
This post is 5225 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello all,

Im now in my final year of uni and as my Final major project i plan to make a documentary about the yamaha dt125. I own 3 myself and have rebuilt 2 of those. Does anyone have any information that they could share with me? Any websites that might be of use to me?

Some questions i have are:

When did they stop making them?

What were their rivals? e.g. KMX125

If anyone has any interesting tales of DT125's from the past. ( I believe they have been going since the 60's? Is there anyone out there who owned one back then who has photos of it they would allow me to use?

Basically anything at all would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Andy

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ok, an update. I see alot have viewed, yet no replies. Although i am an ameteur film maker i assure you that i am not just a retard with a handycam. I have just finished Filming, directing, producing and editing a documentary about commercial sheep breeding myself.

I have filming arranged for a variety of model variations from 1986 onwards, and some interviews arranged with yamaha dealers, i really need some footage of earlier Dt's, anywhere between 68 and 86.

Also infomation about the earlier models. I have very limited knowledge of them as ive only worked on a LCMK3 onwards.

Obviously anyone who contributes will be credited and any if i film your bike you are more than welcome to have a copy of the footage.

Guest MaD.VeZ

I don't think i could offer much that is screen worthy. I have only ever owned DTR's 1988 onward(3db model>) since the early 90's. Only got on the road in 2004 with <12months riding since, due to accidents and theft, so mainly off-road stories here. Most of the fun i've had with them has been in the workshop tbh. 

Believe they stopped production around 2004 with the DT125RE and DT125X models as with all 2-strokes(f***ing t**ts and their legislation  :angry: ), but I'm not 100%. 

I remember an article in performance bike magazine(late 80's iirc), about the DTR being able to beat a Honda NXT650 dominator around the twisties  :lol: , and they also say the top speed is around 92mph   :o . Might help your research if you can find a copy (Think I have a copy somewhere, if i can find it your welcome to it, not seen it in years though so don't hold your breath).

It sounds like a great project you have there. I love DTR's and would like a copy of the finished result if its possible  :D

Vez.

Hello all,

Im now in my final year of uni and as my Final major project i plan to make a documentary about the yamaha dt125. I own 3 myself and have rebuilt 2 of those. Does anyone have any information that they could share with me? Any websites that might be of use to me?

Some questions i have are:

When did they stop making them?

What were their rivals? e.g. KMX125

If anyone has any interesting tales of DT125's from the past. ( I believe they have been going since the 60's? Is there anyone out there who owned one back then who has photos of it they would allow me to use?

Basically anything at all would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Andy

Andy I have a 'Ride' magazine article titles Last rites, Yamaha DT125 1983 - 2006. It is one page of the writers memories of the brand.

Also a 'Performance bikes' magazine, Oct 91. Nine 125's tested. so info on all its road going competition as well as it's trail / road coing competition of the time. I wouldnt go into too much depth of earlier aircooled ones...suffice to say that Yamaha invented the trail bike and set the standard for others to follow, you may want to put a bit of factual meat on that statement.

I also have another 'Mechanics' magazine article but its at work so cant give you the detail.

If you want me to scan and email them, seeing as it's for your degree work I will do so they might have some interesting quote's and research in them.

PM your email if you do

...Paul

This is fantastic! All of those magazine articles sound brilliant! If you could email them i would much appreciate it.

Im going to be looking at its competition, i believe alot of this came from the kawasaki kmx125? I'v found if i google/ebay it i can find models of up to 2007 and nothing beyond. when i contacted my local yamaha dealer they told me they thought it was discontinued in 2006 to make way for the wr125 whore stroke.....four* sorry....but i didnt correct them as i might want more interviews etc :P

Was it a dt that was stolen? I am going to look into the theft of them as they seem to be stolen a huge amount. One of my closest friends had both his 2002 and his 1990 stolen less than a month ago, on the same night. So if you have any stories, info on that side of things id love to hear it.

You are more than welcome to a copy of it once its finished, which will hopefully be by may 27th (deadline).

I've spent all day until about an hour ago cleaning and polishing my bike ready for some studio filming 2moro afternoon. Standing back after putting everything back on and seeing the gleam made me realise why i'm making this film!

Ill pm you both my email.

Thanks again, Andy.

Hi I am asking if anyone can help me with my dt125lc mk2 year sept 1985 frame stats 35A. I replaced my exhaust system yesterday I put a good fresco expansion chamber on and I took my old silencer off and put an original silencer from a mk3 dt125lc and I lost power dramatically. As we know the powervalve on the dt125lc's kicks in at around 6,000 Rpm. Since I changed my exhaust system, when I am out on the open road I can't get up to 6,000Rpm if I knock it down a gear the revs just die away so I can't take it for a blast to blow the cobwebs out the exhaust system. I've replaced the spark plug checked the bowl under the fuel tap and cleaned it but it don't feel like a fuel problem, it feels more like the clutch is slipping but the revs die away also whilst in drive plodding along like a step through scooter. I know it's not the clutch I am hoping it's the silencer, I really don't want to put my old exhaust system back on as this fresco exhaust is in mint condition but bought second hand off e-bay. I need to ask if anyone knows the answer to this problem. Once I park my DT up for the night lock it and turn the petrol off, I go back to it the following morning and as soon as I take the bike off the side stand petrol flows out at a good rate from an overflow pipe at the bottom of the carb does anyone know what causes this. If any one can help I will well appreciate it. I have only had 3 yamaha's in my time and not for very long. I spent a lot of my time around my first bike being a suzuki ts100erz which is an aircooled suzuki scrambler and ever since I have been around suzuki aircooled bikes this is my first watercooled bike with a YPVS system on it. Thank you Blake

What about the people that make the Haynes Manuals.

Did you try getting in contact with them, They might have some info for you.

Worth a try

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online