Need Advice as soon as.....regarding chain

EwOkIE
This post is 5228 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all, right I am in need of new sprockets and chain but dont know what to go for

These are the choices I have

)-Rinf or X-Ring Chain ??

O-Ring Chain (never heard of) 1st Choice

2nd Choice

or ....this one

and....

an AFAM Set sprockets and Chain (520 Race) ,,,what does that mean??

Whats best for my bike.

Soooo many choices..

Also.... the OHLINS Preload adjuster (which way do I turn this)

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi all, right I am in need of new sprockets and chain but dont know what to go for

These are the choices I have

)-Rinf or X-Ring Chain ??

O-Ring Chain (never heard of) 1st Choice

2nd Choice

or ....this one

and....

an AFAM Set sprockets and Chain (520 Race) ,,,what does that mean??

Whats best for my bike.

Soooo many choices..

Thanks

ok, well first off no.1 is an iris chain, they are cheap to buy and i had one on my FZr1000, they do not last long, mine would stretch significantly on one afternoon ride, i would not recommend it for a yzf750.

No.2 and 3 are boy triple SSS, these are similar to iris, but maybe slightly better.

The standard chain for the yzf750 is a 532, this is funny size and so the above will be 530, which is normal conversion to do (as long as you do not run standard 532 sprockets, unlikely)

No.3 is a Race chain and is 520, this is a lot lighter than 532/530, which makes it good for racing as it means there is less unsprung mass, however being a lighter gauge it will not last long (probably longer than an iris 530 though!!).

personally none of the above is probably the best option, i used to buy cheap chains until i had one snap on me at 90mph (it decimated the swingarm and nearly took me out) and so i would say spend the extra on DID, EK, tsubaki etc. M & P, wemoto or local bike shop are probably the best sort of places to get a chain and sprocket set.

Many chains are described as Heavy-duty, physically the links maybe heavy duty in size, but the steel that is used may be inferior and so they are weaker and less-robust than some high-end medium duty chains

hope this helps.

merv

p.s. i remember the last chain i bought was from a bearing factor who sold me a heavy-duty DID chain by-the-link for £45ish and i bought the sprockets from my local yam dealer (fowlers).

Thanks for the info, so DID or EK is the best chain.

what about sprockets, any recommended ones.

This ok for the front :

Renthal 16 Tooth Ultralite Front Sporcket.

The Renthal part number is 285U-532-16P

I use the bike all the time and have some fun at the weekends :D ..so needs to be fast.

any help on the preload adjuster.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the info, so DID or EK is the best chain.

what about sprockets, any recommended ones.

I use the bike all the time and have some fun at the weekends :D ..so needs to be fast.

any help on the preload adjuster.

Thanks again.

just buy the sprockets with the chain as a set, if you want a different ratio, give wemoto or fowlers a call and see what they say for recommended sprockets.

What sort of adjustment is on the shock? if its rotary, just turn it to apply more compression of the spring, it should go back to lowest setting eventually if it is the 'ramped' type. In the tool kit should be the spanner to do it - i say this having never seen one on a yzf750r, i'm just guessing!!!

just buy the sprockets with the chain as a set, if you want a different ratio, give wemoto or fowlers a call and see what they say for recommended sprockets.

What sort of adjustment is on the shock? if its rotary, just turn it to apply more compression of the spring, it should go back to lowest setting eventually if it is the 'ramped' type. In the tool kit should be the spanner to do it - i say this having never seen one on a yzf750r, i'm just guessing!!!

be careful buying 'lightweight' sprockets, an aluminium inner with steel teeth is fine, but an -all aluminium sprocket will not last 5-minutes, as ally is just too soft.

No joy on just the bush!

Going for this as this is whats been recommended to me :

285-530-16

215-530-46HA

Tsubaki Alpha 'X' Ring Drive Chain 530APX-108

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online