I'm back from Bonny Scotland

XT Alan
This post is 7354 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

1395 miles and 7 days later. The XT took it all in its stride. Oil used - nil. Coolant used - nil. Petrol used at an amazing 78mpg. Weather was pretty good. BUT the bloody midges, I've got bites everywhere :!:

The XT was completely at home on this journey. The M6 from Chester Services to Moffat, with only one stop, was very boring, but the bike held 75 mph all the way and I was in better nick at the end than my mate on the CBR600. The Dullville is designed for this kind of thing, but the XT and the Africa Twin were almost on a par, with the Africa Twin offering better wind protection, but with hand numbing vibrations.

Once into the hills the XT and Africa Twin were supreme.

Moral of this story - Africa Twins, XTs etc are true touring bikes. Dullvilles are hopeless on the twisties. Sportsbikes are just toys, show them a bumpy twisty road and they cannot cope. Any bike COULD do this journey, but the trailies were just perfect. Which was better? Africa Twin or XT - I'd say they were about equal. XT more nimble and relaxed - Africa Twin more stable at speed with a little more oomph.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

sounds great alan. that's a very good write up on the xt, you and pete will be converting us all soon 8) which places in scotland did you visit? know what you mean about the midges btw, loads about at the moment!

Glad you had a good trip Alan...sounds great.

What did your mates think of the XT?

And 78mpg....how the hell did you manage that? I normally get about 55 to 60 but that's two up under varying types of roads.

1st night - Saint Mary's Loch - great cafe nearby. Then Edinburgh - superb. 2nd night - near Rosslyn Chapel which is amazing! Then Glen Coe for a night. 2 nights on Skye. 1 night at Applecross. then back to the Borders then Hadrian's Wall. All of it was fantastic, like Wales, but on a much, much bigger scale.

Edinburgh is a seriously impressive and beautiful city, with a huge centre. Only twice as many people as Cardiff, but feels as big as London.

PS the Heine Gericke shop there sucks!, but the nearby Starbucks made up for it :D

Your mates must have been surprised by your choice of bike though?

Talking to Sean in David Jones yesterday, and he said he was initially worried that you'd hate it after the CB.

Told him that we were both at the Last Chance Saloon until Salvation arrived! :lol:

Your mates must have been surprised by your choice of bike though?

Talking to Sean in David Jones yesterday, and he said he was initially worried that you'd hate it after the CB.

:lol:

Yes they were surprised when I changed! But, as I've said before the Honda was a huge disappointment. After the initial thrill of having it, I found that its attractions were only skin deep and that it lacked the character and bullet proof nature of the Bandit 12. Somewhere along the line Honda have lost the plot in my opinion. I've read recent tests where the new Blade, Pan and 600 all get a good kicking from the other three manufacturers' rival machines. They've become quite anal - VTEC, ABS etc - and have forgotten that bikes are not cars and need to stir the blood.

The old Goldwing, for example, is a classic example of bike as vulgar and chinzy as a tart's make up. The new one is just a two wheeled Lexus.

What I love about the XT is that the content is greater than the style. The new Blade with its electronic damper isn't the balls out widow maker that the new ZX10 is and is all the worse for it............ I could go on and on........

That's stretching the truth a bit Scott...calling a Mullet a hairstyle! :lol:

Yeah....'bout the same as calling an XT a DirtBike :wink: :D

The big XT is not a dirtbike though....it's a dualsport/adventure tourer!  8)

Agreed! XTs sit in the class alongside Transalps, Africa Twins, BMW 650 and 1200GSs and the KTM Adventure. Of all of these it is probably the most capable off road after the KTMs, but it is a lot more comfortable and forgiving and, I would imagine, more reliable and easier to ride.

True, it isn't a dirt bike, BUT no dirt bike could do a 350 mile day in complete comfort, at Motorway speeds and no road bike could cope with a dirt road, track or muddy field.

Dual Sport/Adventure Tourer sums it up perfectly. On the basis of "Horses for Courses" the XT can do more things than any other machine on the market. It is also a terrific city bike with really quick steering and initial acceleration.

It is also a terrific city bike with really quick steering and initial acceleration.

Now that's what I was thinkin' 8) :wink:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online