yamaha drag star 125 won't start again

ShamahaDragstar
This post is 5187 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Sorry to bug you guys again, but I came across an unexpected problem. When I got a new battery for the bike, and started it, it started fine 3 or 4 times. The problem was I only started it to check the engine and didnt ride it all those times. When I decided to take it for a short ride today, it wouldn't start. At first it started for a sec, and then the rpm's went down and it stopped (found this strange as the choke was on). Everytime I try to start it after that, it almost starts and dies several time while I try to turn the engine. I've checked all the basics, the engine is on on, the choke is on, and when I try to turn it on on first gear, the side stand is up and the clutch is in. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sorry to bug you guys again, but I came across an unexpected problem. When I got a new battery for the bike, and started it, it started fine 3 or 4 times. The problem was I only started it to check the engine and didnt ride it all those times. When I decided to take it for a short ride today, it wouldn't start. At first it started for a sec, and then the rpm's went down and it stopped (found this strange as the choke was on). Everytime I try to start it after that, it almost starts and dies several time while I try to turn the engine. I've checked all the basics, the engine is on on, the choke is on, and when I try to turn it on on first gear, the side stand is up and the clutch is in. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

What do you mean by the bit hi-lighted in blue.

Take the plug out and clean it and try again.

ignition on

kill switch on

choke on

no throttle

no gear slected

side stand up and you sitting on bike

try to start

right try starting the bike not using the choke or very little choke,as you have been starting the bike just to check that it starts and not going for a run every time you start the bike it is taking power from the battery but not getting a chance to put back what you have taken out, it could be that you have just flooded the system . my dragstar125 very rarely needs the choke and when it does just a little. next time you start the bike let it run for 5 or 10 minutes.

you say you bought a new battery did it come fully charged ? if not just starting it and not letting it get a chance to put anything back you will be back to square one.

The bit in blue means that if I try to turn it on whilst its in first gear, I make sure the side stand is up and that I've got the clutch pulled in. It might be the flooded problem. I'm gonna try it once again without the choke being on. If that doesnt work I'll use the battery charger I just got. And I've cleaned the spark plug 2 times today, so that shouldnt be the problem. Anyway, I'm gonna go try what you guys recommended and see how she gets on and let you guys know. Thanks for your help so far.

DON'T start it in gear!!!!!

Remember your CBT.

Bad things can happen if you do this.

Start normally - In neutral, stand up, choke off.

Only after the usual fails (give it a fair few goes) consider messing about with stuff like the choke.

Yeah, kind of forgot that part. Its been nearly a year since I took my CBT, and I've only got my bike a couple of weeks ago. At the moment, I'm just charging the battery, as I didnt o this when I bought it. Then I'm going to put it in an clean the spark plugs again and see if she starts. By the way, if I did flood the engine, do I get rid of that problem by turning the accelarator as I turn the engine on?

Yeah, kind of forgot that part. Its been nearly a year since I took my CBT, and I've only got my bike a couple of weeks ago. At the moment, I'm just charging the battery, as I didnt o this when I bought it. Then I'm going to put it in an clean the spark plugs again and see if she starts. By the way, if I did flood the engine, do I get rid of that problem by turning the accelarator as I turn the engine on?

Once you start to smell fuel, this is your engine flooding. You need to stop trying to start it and let it rest for a while.

Every bike usualy has a nack to starting it and you need to just find out yours.

Maby your bike doesnt need choke to start it.

Try with choke frst, then if no go after a few spins turn choke off and try again.

Dont use any throttle when trying to start.

Which-ever way it starts the best (remember) this and stick to it every time your starting from cold !

Battery charged will prob get rid of all your probs.

Good Luck m8biggrin.gif

Put the battery in, tried to turn it on a couple of times without the choke, didnt work. So I turned the choke slightly. Then the engine starte and kept running. Left it running for a couple of mins, then turned it off. So seemed to have got the problem sorted. Thanks to everyone that gave tips and advice.

Put the battery in, tried to turn it on a couple of times without the choke, didnt work. So I turned the choke slightly. Then the engine starte and kept running. Left it running for a couple of mins, then turned it off. So seemed to have got the problem sorted. Thanks to everyone that gave tips and advice.

Sounds great!

(Post #1)

The problem was I only started it to check the engine and didnt ride it all those times.

Sounds familiar... ;)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online