XS400 help

DaveT150
This post is 5323 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi

I'm looking for suggestions as to where I could buy a valve adjuster screw and locknut for a 1978 XS400?

I've tried my local Yamaha dealer but no joy there.

On a ride last weekend the engine started running roughly, once home I went to check it over and re-set the valve clearances and I found one of the adjusters had vanished!

I tried draining the oil and removing the sump plate, taking off the cam cover and poking around with one of those useful magnet on a telescopic rod thingys, but there was of sign of it. Thankfully no metal particles either.

Next I took off with the head and barrels and removed and up ended the engine, thankfully that did the job and the offending adjuster and locknut fell out.

Unfortunately the fine pitch thread on the screw is sufficiently damaged to render it unuseable.

I guess this is my own fault for not tightening the damn thing up suffciently, thankfully the only damage will be the cost of a new adjuster and some gaskets!

many thanks

Dave

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi

I'm looking for suggestions as to where I could buy a valve adjuster screw and locknut for a 1978 XS400?

I've tried my local Yamaha dealer but no joy there.

On a ride last weekend the engine started running roughly, once home I went to check it over and re-set the valve clearances and I found one of the adjusters had vanished!

I tried draining the oil and removing the sump plate, taking off the cam cover and poking around with one of those useful magnet on a telescopic rod thingys, but there was of sign of it. Thankfully no metal particles either.

Next I took off with the head and barrels and removed and up ended the engine, thankfully that did the job and the offending adjuster and locknut fell out.

Unfortunately the fine pitch thread on the screw is sufficiently damaged to render it unuseable.

I guess this is my own fault for not tightening the damn thing up suffciently, thankfully the only damage will be the cost of a new adjuster and some gaskets!

many thanks

Dave

http://www.nwvcp.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/2/Yamaha.aspx

http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-xs400sh-1981_model8826/partslist/

Thanks that's good to know. I guess they can't be bothered with a few bits for a 30 year old machine.

I'll try Fowlers in Bristol.

cheers

Dave

and also Motoward

part # 1l9-12159-01 screw

90179-06128 locknut

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online