First Post and looking for some help

CRS
This post is 5194 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

**Edit** Well well I should have looked through the rest of the forums first. I just found the workshop one.

Hiya all. This is my first post.

I have a 77 DT-400

This is the first 2 stroke bike I've ever owned. It has 8k miles on it and it looks to be in pretty good shape. I want to get it looking and running great.

I would like some help in locating repair manuals or repair procedures so I can start getting it in tip-top shape.

Right now it starts great (now that I learned the trick to a kick start) and runs strong. When I'm driving it, unless I'm actually advancing the throttle, it makes a banging/knocking sound and it kind of jerks forward (like when you don't know how to drive a stick). It's almost like a rough idle. If I squeeze the clutch or increase the throttle, it smooths out. The after riding it for a while (about an hour or so) it will occasionally surge and when I come to a stop the engine will cut out unless I give it gas. If it does stop I have to wait about 15-20 minutes till I can get it to start.

Any help would be appreciated. I like this bike a lot and would love to get it running smooth. I think I might need to make some adjustments to the carb or clean it up. I'm not sure where to start though.

Robert

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online