*98 YZ250 won't start.

bordthewake
This post is 5322 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I replaced the cylinder the piston(rebuilt the top-end) and after putting it all together it started the 3rd kick. After I turned the choke off it bogged down and died, and now it won't start at all. I have done a full carburator cleaning and cleaned up the staitor because it was rusty and it does have compression(around 190psi). Still won't start .... any ideas?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I replaced the cylinder the piston(rebuilt the top-end) and after putting it all together it started the 3rd kick. After I turned the choke off it bogged down and died, and now it won't start at all. I have done a full carburator cleaning and cleaned up the staitor because it was rusty and it does have compression(around 190psi). Still won't start .... any ideas?

It takes alot to get a newely rebuilt bike going again, im very surprised it started on 3rd kick.

How long did it run for when it did start?

Most of the time you just need to keep at it but do give it a rest if it smells of fluding as you could quickly give it a hydrolic lock (much damage)

Apart from that, need more info on whats happening!

happy.gif

It takes alot to get a newely rebuilt bike going again, im very surprised it started on 3rd kick.

How long did it run for when it did start?

Most of the time you just need to keep at it but do give it a rest if it smells of fluding as you could quickly give it a hydrolic lock (much damage)

Apart from that, need more info on whats happening!

happy.gif

Yeah started seriously third kick, ran for about a minute(45 to 60 seconds) and then I turned the choke off and it bogged down and died. That told me slow idle jet so I did a complete carb clean and still nothing. The woodriff key, underneath the staitor, is still there. So I do have compression and spark but I have been kicking it for about two days intermittently, and nothing.

FLOODING! I think I will try to flood the bike because I have yet to smell gas when I am kicking it over, even after my carb clean. COULD THIS MEAN REEDS?!?

If you dont smell any fuel then you are not getting any from the carb to the piston.

You could try putting the piston to its upermost postion, by turning the kicker slowly, when you feel the wait coming on it stop and this is it almost at the top. Now put a bit of fuel in the plug hole then plug and try, it should at least try to start from this an maby draw the fuel from the carb also.

Repet this once or twice but dont keep on doing.

Dont think its your reeds just yet anyway, unless you have been tampering with them.

Have you done any other changes during the replacement of the top end. --- hope not!

You need to find out why the feul is not coming to the piston if this doesnt get you going!

ps. I am away this weekend so wont b able to help till monday,,,, but im sure Cynic or someone else will help you out if they reed your post!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online