Quick question: XS400 heads/crankcase/covers...aluminum?

bznchris
This post is 5330 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

As the title says, just want to make sure the crankcase, heads and all covers but the starter motor cover are aluminum. Yes?

So after sanding away blemishes I shouldn't have to worry about corrosion/painting.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

As the title says, just want to make sure the crankcase, heads and all covers but the starter motor cover are aluminum. Yes?

So after sanding away blemishes I shouldn't have to worry about corrosion/painting.

yep, keep 'em polished and a wipe of ACF50

starter motor cover is zinc plated, but i had mine chromed!

The aluminum cases can be restored and even polished but the real protection comes from clear coat. Use lacquer thinner to clean the cases real good after polishing and apply clear engine paint to them. This will keep them looking good and is how they came from the factory.

The aluminum cases can be restored and even polished but the real protection comes from clear coat. Use lacquer thinner to clean the cases real good after polishing and apply clear engine paint to them. This will keep them looking good and is how they came from the factory.

good to know!

the problem with clear coat is that as soon as it scratches then moisture gets inside it and makes it look horrible and then the alloy whitens.

the factory "look" for xs400 cases was silver engine paint!!

consensus in other forums was to leave alu bare and polish/ACF50 it

the problem with clear coat is that as soon as it scratches then moisture gets inside it and makes it look horrible and then the alloy whitens.

the factory "look" for xs400 cases was silver engine paint!!

consensus in other forums was to leave alu bare and polish/ACF50 it

I was pretty set on the ACF50 route anyways, so that sealed the deal. I would think any paint in general would have a hard time sticking to polished aluminum.

hey drewpy, about the acf50- that's some serious stuff! is it fine for high heat areas like the head? and will it harm paint/rubber if I get a little on it?

Edit: found my answer, stuff's harmless.

hey drewpy, about the acf50- that's some serious stuff! is it fine for high heat areas like the head? and will it harm paint/rubber if I get a little on it?

Edit: found my answer, stuff's harmless.

BJ and blackhat even drink it when the whisky dries up :huh:

The alloy used is zinc rich, so if you polish it once, you'll always be polishing it if you want to keep it looking good. Moisture in the air is enough to cause it to corrode, let alone getting rain water on it!

ACF50 is good, the questions about high stressed ares are spurious.

Laquering is about the worst thing you could do to polished ally

drewpy- ah well that explains a lot now doesn't it? I won't knock it 'till I try it though. :lol:

Speedshop- Yup, no laquer for this bike. I actually stripped off a little paint from the old painted covers, turns out they were sandblasted before painting, and look really nice the way they are. I might go with them instead of the shiny new ones, as I prefer that matte luster to a polished "blingy" look. Still with plenty of acf50, of course.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online