Tenere amps

winklepie
This post is 5347 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey all

Im doing a very long tour soon with the missus which includes some very cold weather. We both have heated gloves vests and insoles. I have an 09 XT660Z Tenere and am a bit worried about the amp drain of all this apparel on the battery.

Does anyone know if this will be to much draw for the battery in cold weather or as it is a new bike will it be ok?

Cheers.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Good morning.

The power budget of the Tenere is pretty rubbish considering what the bike is designed for. The stator pumps out 20.8 amps at 5000rpm (291 watts) and yet the regulator is capable of handling 30amps, so they could have given us a little more to play with.

The bike needs around 216 watts of power (276w with cooling fan running) so you have a power budget of 75watts under normal running (assuming you only need the fan when it's warm, and at that point you don't need the heated clothing!)

75 watts is;

5.36 amps at 14 volts (normal running)

6.25 amps at 12 volts (ticking over)

These guys make stator replacements for a number of bikes, I've tried to pester them to produce an upgrade for the 660 motor to no avail - www.trailtechproducts.co.uk You could drop them an email asking if they will make an upgraded stator, to say 400w, this would keep within the regulators tollerances.

In the mean time there are a couple of things you can do to cut the power needs of the bike;

Replace the Daytime Running Lights with LED's (saving of 5watts)

Replace the number plate bult with LED (save another 5 watts)

Replace the dipped beam with an HID kit (saving 25 watts), but this isn't legal

Replace the main beam with HID Kit (another 25 watts)

The HID conversion is a popular one as it not only reduced the power requirements, but improved the pittyful main beam on the Tenere.

LED main beam replacements have been tried but they just can't get enough light out to be of any use.

Does this help ?

PS - there is a whole community of XT people living over at www.xt660.com, come over, say hello and you'll get all the advice and opinions you could ever wish for.

Once again dude another full on reply. I will have to look up what power requiments the clothing adds up to and check it against your reply. A simple 'yes' would have been better though lol.

Thanks again

P.S 'Gasup'

Where could i get the led bulbs and HID kit from? My bike is on a ship on the Atlantic at the mo so i cant pop out and see what bulbs it takes so a description of the required would be handy too.

Cheers!

P.S 'Gasup'

Where could i get the led bulbs and HID kit from? My bike is on a ship on the Atlantic at the mo so i cant pop out and see what bulbs it takes so a description of the required would be handy too.

Cheers!

The (front) sidelight bulbs are type 501's, found these on Ebay, nice and cheap!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2x-4-LED-Xenon-white-HID-T11-501-W5W-Sidelight-bulbs-UK_W0QQitemZ200420794888QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item2eaa02a208

These guys sell HID conversion kits, You need the H7 kit, lots of people have then fitted, and love them but I use a pair of driving lamps instead! They fit straight in, and you only need to make a cut on the rubber cover (of the rear of the light) to get the new cable through. Because of the time it takes the light to get upto temp, you get a drop in light for a couple of seconds changing from dipped to main beam. You can overcome this by 'tweeking' the wiring in the switch unit, or putting in a aux circuit and powering from that.

http://www.bikevis.com/motorcycle-hid-xenon-conversions.html

I'm not sure aboutht enumberplate bulb, never took it out and the partslist just lists as a 5w bulb! Helpful!!

Bikevis also do the 501 bulbs (a bit dearer) and some vary good LED light pods that fit any bike (I have them on the XJR) tiny little things but very very noticable from the front.

The first reply is indeed an excellent appraisal

What i'd like to add is avoid the cheap HID kits on flea bay. More trouble then they are worth. Poor quality balast units cause problems like failure to ignite or sudden loss of power.

I'm nothing to do with them, but these people do good realiable kits, not the cheapest but you get what you pay for. www.hidcity.co.uk

Also with HID there is no need to go for the brightest kits. A mid powered kit will give more then enough light (far brighter then a H4 or H7 bulb) and use half the power of a normal bulb.