DT125R 03 PLATE SPARK PLUG PROBLEM

franhud
This post is 5269 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hi i have a 03 dt125r and after a days use i have to replace the spark plug could someone please tell me how to solve the problem thanks

What's the plug look like when its done, black, white, nice coffe tan colour. Red spots on the insulator. Any cracking.

Are you SURE its the plug. Have you tried changing the cap as well.

What's the plug look like when its done, black, white, nice coffe tan colour. Red spots on the insulator. Any cracking.

Are you SURE its the plug. Have you tried changing the cap as well.

hi

its black and its defontly the plug because when i put a new one in its fine im woundering if i need a hotter plug e.g one from a yz

Guest MaD.VeZ

hi

its black and its defontly the plug because when i put a new one in its fine im woundering if i need a hotter plug e.g one from a yz

Plug should be a NGK BR9ES(Factory standard) or BR8ES(hotter type), which are you running?

When you say black, is it a dry and sooty black(over rich fuel/air mixture), or wet and oily black(excess 2-stroke) ?

hi

No, something is causing the plug to fail, its a symptom not the cause. An ignition fault can give the impression of a rich mixture due to the incomplete burn as the spark brakes down.

Have you tried re fitting the old failed plugs at a later date. And have you tested the plug cap and coil.

Fuel won't kill a plug and 2stroke wont either. Something electrical is messing you about.

Guest MaD.VeZ

No, something is causing the plug to fail, its a symptom not the cause.  An ignition fault can give the impression of a rich mixture due to the incomplete burn as the spark brakes down.

Have you tried re fitting the old failed plugs at a later date. And have you tested the plug cap and coil.

Fuel won't kill a plug and 2stroke wont either. Something electrical is messing you about.

^^You need to answer these really. A hotter plug wont make any difference if its electrical^^

All a hotter plug does is help keep the build up of carbon down on the plug(usually on a poorly tuned or older bike). 

I was thinking it was just a fouled plug, but without any more info/pics on the plug condition its guess work.

hi

how would i check the cap

Standard resistance test, normally 4 Thousand Ohms (4K Ohms) on a resisted cap as a rule but the manual will tell you exactly. While you are looking at the cap, make sure it is securely connected to the lead with a sound electrical connection and the cap locks on to the plug really positively.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online