A simple appeal

barkwindjammer
This post is 4893 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

As some of you may know I tried fruitlessly to send a large tent to Haiti after watching some harrowing footage on the tv news,

it turns out the tent cant be sent there, so instead I'd like to raise some money for an organisation called http://www.shelterbox.org/, they are based in Cornwall England and are involved in the relief effort in Haiti as well as many other areas of major disaster around the world.

At the end of the fundraiser one person will be drawn out of the hat and I will send the tent to them, or I can send it on to 'a group' of their choosing (please visit the link below),

so for every £2 you donate you have a better chance of becoming the 'patron' of the tent.

And remember the tent is being used as a 'symbol of shelter'.

This is a brand new 8 person tent which needs a good home, to make your £2 (the price of a pint) donation please visit Shelter-me.

Thank you, and peace be with you

Jim :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Heres a pic of the tent, excuse the wrinkly marks they're not on the tent the photo was taken from the booklet that comes with it, the link is fixed now :blush:

and many thanks for the generous donation Drewpy

thetentpanorama.jpg

Heres a pic of the tent, excuse the wrinkly marks they're not on the tent the photo was taken from the booklet that comes with it, the link is fixed now :blush:

and many thanks for the generous donation Drewpy

no probs. :thumb:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

why you guys talkibng about tents this is a bike forum haa

They're talking about the tent because if you read the initial post, they were hoping to send it to Haiti where it would help people who had lost their homes.

So far,,, I'm chuffed to say that to date £131.00 has been generously donated to this humble plea,

"a little thing can be a big thing !" (big Bird-sesame street) :)

So far,,, I'm chuffed to say that to date £131.00 has been generously donated to this humble plea,

:yay: nice one

sounds like it's going well!

Is it just me or does that woman who used to present the news on BBC, remind you guys of Big Bird? Cant remember her name...might be moira stewart....

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I had an E-mail today from the admin at www.shelterbox.co.uk

Dear Supporters,

Winter has most definitely arrived and Christmas is just around the corner – 2010 is coming to an end. But what a year it’s been! ShelterBox supporters have taken part in more weird and wonderful events than ever before.

From travelling to Peking in a 1962 Volvo to taking part in a Penny Farthing race, supporters across the country have gone above and beyond to help those affected by natural or manmade disasters. However, the one thing you’ve all got in common is that you would have helped provide shelter, warmth and dignity to families who had been made homeless of displaced by disaster. Thank you.

Nominations for the 2011 JustGiving Awards are now being taken. This is a great opportunity to recognise the achievements of individuals, groups and charities who have accomplished amazing things over the past 12 months. Please continue your support and nominate ShelterBox for Charity of the Year Award by clicking the first link below. If you know anyone you think deserves to be nominated for one of the fundraiser categories, please click the second.

· www.justgivingawards.com/formb.php?award=5

· www.justgivingawards.com

If you do choose to nominate ShelterBox, a useful document is attached.

On another note, ShelterBox are changing the way we process JustGiving donations. Going forward, fundraisers will receive a letter from us a maximum of once a month. This will ensure you’re not receiving unwanted communication from us and we’re keeping our administration costs as low as possible. Future donations from JustGiving will also not automatically be allocated to boxes. This will give us the flexibility to use the funds where they are most needed, whether it’s pre-positioning boxes, training ShelterBox Response Team volunteers, or funding any other aspect of our disaster relief work.

Although you will no longer automatically receive box numbers from your page, you can still be sure that the money you raise will make a huge difference to families who have lost everything. If you would still like to receive box numbers, please let us know within the next 72 hours with your name, address and JustGiving page URL.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Once again, thank you for your support. 2010 has been a momentous year for ShelterBox with approximately 40,000 boxes being sent to help families in disaster affected areas across the world.

Best wishes,

James Webb

Fundraising Officer

ShelterBox

t. +44 (0)1326 569782

m. +44 (0)7843 300324

w. www.shelterbox.org

Water-Ma-Trout

Helston

Cornwall

TR13 0LW

some of you may have seen the latest news reported images from Haiti showing Haitians rioting and stoning uniformed personnel i.e. press, military and yes even aid distributors-these people are not showing ingratitude, these people are desperate, de-moralised, de-humanised, and pleading for the survival of their race, literaly fighting for their continued existance,

be assured that the very generous donations made by the good souls of the Y-O-C were directly converted to products i.e. shelterboxes, these are not viable as a corruptable currency and have succsessfully been distributed to house and shelter a multitude of families-not just in Haiti, these kits are sent all over our fragile planet.

many thanks to all who made a donation and lent support, and many thanks to our own moderator Mervin for suggesting a very worthwhile cause.

Shalom

we took part in some shelter box challenges when I was at the scout jamboree last summer. It was great to see what went in them and it makes a big difference to peoples lives especially when they have nothing.

I think it brought home to the scouts what goes on in the world around them. We also took part in water aid and the participants managed to raise £1k to build 2 wells.

Thats an amazing amount raised Drew for 'wateraid', and yep the greenhorns in the scouts will be better citizens for the insight they now have for other peoples, I salute anyone who gives up some of their time and devotes it to good causes, the Scouting association gets my vote :)