Computer Security?

DTGordo
This post is 5346 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey all,

Yesterday I was looking through a few posts which had included in them a little sign that told me what my IP address and ISP were. Kind of like a cartoon picture of a sign inserted into the posts (there was more than one) and some had a picture of a penguin next to it. It looked like it was part of a particular string of posts. I logged out and it doesn't seem to be there now. No probs with my computer or any other sites.

Bit of a worry.

Any ideas?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Any ideas?

Don't worry, It's just Drewpy gathering everyones bank and cerdit card details - He always leaves you some cash behind.....

Seriously though,

The address you see is the public address of the Interwet, if this is the same as you PC then you need to look at your PC security!

You can look at your IP address by typing 'cmd' into the run box (bottom of the windows menu) then ipconfig in the black box that comes up.

When you attach to any web page, this page knows your IP address and the kind of browser you are using, otherwise your page format could be corrupt (browser type) or, without you IP address the web server couldn't actually communicate with you! So the information is actually public and neccasary.

Considering Internet Security, firstly don't connect your PC directly to it, use a router and a decent one that has in-built firewall and NAT ability (most have these days). If you use wireless then make sure you activate MAC address security (this only allows communication between the devices with the listed MAC address and the AP (Access Point - the Wireless bit of the router), so even if someone guesses or gathers your PassKey they will still not be able to enter your network.

Next, think about your PC, install some firewall software that isn't windows firewall, as well as some intrusion protection software - you can get this all bundled up with something like Nortons Internet Security. Before someone jumps in with the old "you can get this stuff free" statement, consider this, why is it free ??? there is nothing for nothing in this world. I have seen these 'free' or shareware programs gather information about your PC. Internet protection is a fast moving business, you need something that will be updated quickly as soon as a new theat emerges. I get around 3 Serious Vulnerability Notices every week from the one major Internet equipment provider - and this equipment runs the internet, so reaction has to be very quick. With your PC it's not so important (it might be to you off course!). You need a piece of software that will alert you when something is changing.

Look at your user privileges, setup an administrator on you PC, but only use it to make changes. All the other times use a user that cannot make changes, without the correct access rights, any software that breaches security only has the same rights as your limited user - so limited damage.

You could consider having an 'internet PC' and a PC for everything else in your house - there is nothing safer than an air gapped machine (Air gapped reffers to the 'air gap' between your machine and the network).

Any software that inspects your outgoing information (such as address, account numbers, contact details etc) is also usefull , if a pain at times, but it will alert you if your PC starts to send out your account detals while you are in a google search! Of course the first action would be to switch off your router and stop it while you investigate.

The best way to think about it, how good is the lock on your door? Would you consider a free lock from some bloke in a van who you don't know??? But you would let the same bloke protect your identity and account information ??

Guest MaD.VeZ

Don't worry, It's just Drewpy gathering everyones bank and cerdit card details - He always leaves you some cash behind.....

Seriously though,

The address you see is the public address of the Interwet, if this is the same as you PC then you need to look at your PC security!

You can look at your IP address by typing 'cmd' into the run box (bottom of the windows menu) then ipconfig in the black box that comes up.

When you attach to any web page, this page knows your IP address and the kind of browser you are using, otherwise your page format could be corrupt (browser type) or, without you IP address the web server couldn't actually communicate with you! So the information is actually public and neccasary.

Considering Internet Security, firstly don't connect your PC directly to it, use a router and a decent one that has in-built firewall and NAT ability (most have these days). If you use wireless then make sure you activate MAC address security (this only allows communication between the devices with the listed MAC address and the AP (Access Point - the Wireless bit of the router), so even if someone guesses or gathers your PassKey they will still not be able to enter your network.

Next, think about your PC, install some firewall software that isn't windows firewall, as well as some intrusion protection software - you can get this all bundled up with something like Nortons Internet Security.  Before someone jumps in with the old "you can get this stuff free" statement, consider this, why is it free ??? there is nothing for nothing in this world. I have seen these 'free' or shareware programs gather information about your PC.  Internet protection is a fast moving business, you need something that will be updated quickly as soon as a new theat emerges.  I get around 3 Serious Vulnerability Notices every week from the one major Internet equipment provider - and this equipment runs the internet, so reaction has to be very quick.  With your PC it's not so important (it might be to you off course!). You need a piece of software that will alert you when something is changing.

Look at your user privileges, setup an administrator on you PC, but only use it to make changes. All the other times use a user that cannot make changes, without the correct access rights, any software that breaches security only has the same rights as your limited user - so limited damage.

You could consider having an 'internet PC' and a PC for everything else in your house - there is nothing safer than an air gapped machine (Air gapped reffers to the 'air gap' between your machine and the network).

Any software that inspects your outgoing information (such as address, account numbers, contact details etc) is also usefull , if a pain at times, but it will alert you if your PC starts to send out your account detals while you are in a google search! Of course the first action would be to switch off your router and stop it while you investigate.

The best way to think about it, how good is the lock on your door? Would you consider a free lock from some bloke in a van who you don't know???  But you would let the same bloke protect your identity and account information ??

So i guess you think the various linux distros are one big security risk, considering they are free?   :blink:

So i guess you think the various linux distros are one big security risk, considering they are free?   :blink:

I'm paid to know this stuff, not think it.

Er, I'm using Windows Firewall with Microsoft Security Essentials, both of which are free, after having read in PC pro It performed better than my current paid for Internet Security Suite AVG among others.

I use Firefox web browser, free again, to do online banking and all sorts of shopping and never had a problem.

I run java scripted stuff, Loads of you will do too, thats free and ok.

I run Open Office, thats free and very good too,

Er what else is free and ok... Can't think right now but Just because Linux is free doesn't make it any more vulnerable than Paid for software, in fact most Linux fans will insist it's the exact opposite.

Guest MaD.VeZ

I'm paid to know this stuff, not think it.

I can see your view of things differers greatly from mine gas up-lets go.  I'm quite new to this forum and i like it here, so i will leave this topic well alone  :)

Just because Linux is free doesn't make it any more vulnerable than Paid for software, in fact most Linux fans will insist it's the exact opposite.

OK, completely missing the point there..... Free software is not updated fast enought, that is the problem. There is nothing wrong with the product itself, just the data it runs with. The reason is very simple, it's not a comercial product and therefore there are no drivers to update this stuff in the timeframes required.

Antivirus signatures can change three of four times a day! O/S vulnerabilities are announced to the community as soon as they become known and so from that point the race is on for protection. The only driver for that is commercial agreements between suppliers and business, users get the fall out from that in cheap (-er than business does anyway!) subscription costs.

Linux - To a skilled Administrator it can be the very secure against infultration, to someone playing, it is the easiest thing in the world to breach. If you think you are skilled then you could easily earn £50k a year in the UK, so go for it!

The reason that Linux, Firefox, Mac-OS all belive they are 'safer' is down to pure numbers. Microsoft is the most atacked OS in the world. Hackers see this as the Holy Grail, bigger than the CIA, NASSA, Homeland security (US) or any other government system in the world. Firefox has approaching 50% of the market, so there will be a change is stategy before long and we'll see a string of vulnerabilities coming out for this product as people find holes in the security.

Security is a layered approach. You absolutaly must use different products to protect against different levels of threat. That is accepted by almost every Security Expert in the business.

I'm really not bothered at all what you do, My system is very safe - but I still have two machines, one for web crap the other for important stuff.

I've been around this stuff before Microsoft released it's first versions of Windows, I have one of the highest Networking Qualifications available (and have to re-qualify every 2 years), and I'm responsible for a network with over 100,000 users running Voice, Data and Video.

You can listen to advice offered (for free), or argue against it - the choice is yours.

hey gas up.

it has just been annouced on the news that greater manchester police,s computer has been hit by a virus and that since friday they have not been able to check on vehicles or criminals for almost four days now and that they are struggling. :lol:

there is a god after all. :P:D :D

Must say I've walked away from PCs, too many security issues. you need anti virus software running all the time which slows the machine down.

Big fan of unix based operating systems now. Been running a MAC with no anti virus software on line for 2 months, no problems, no viruses, spyware or other invasions. Linux users report the same!

I was worried out compatibility with PCs and getting software for it, but I've found MAC software for everything I need (and more!)and had no problem recieving or exporting documents and files.

I'm of the opinion now that Windows is a very sloppy system punted out quickly and cheaply with no regard to the security of the end users. The MAC is the opposite. Its very security conscious.

Ok gas it up :) I apologise, cos I thought you might work for pc world or summat (I can picture a salesman saying "I'm paid to know this stuff!"

Most servers use linux or a form of it don't they? or is that another myth I've swallowed!?

Just found this My link