DT175 running issues!

DTsteveo
This post is 5346 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys,

Hope you can help, i have been left a DT175 not sure if its an mx (have been advised its 1980s) by my late brother in law i have had to have a rebore of cylinder so new gaskets cylinder kit etc,and now have all intake rubbers that were missing.

It has stood unused for maybe 3-4 years and have couple of snags

The engine starts and runs from cold then after a short while it dies and fuel comes out of carb overflow port,i have taken carb off to check for dirt in float chamber and cleaned it out but still does it, any suggestions?

Also bike goes into gear but no clutch control at all ,(clutch linkage moves )some one has mentioned the clutch basket but this sounds expensive and complicated and i have limited mechanical knowledge

Many thanks

Steve

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi guys,

Hope you can help, i have been left a DT175 not sure if its an mx (have been advised its 1980s) by my late brother in law i have had to have a rebore of cylinder so new gaskets cylinder kit etc,and now have all intake rubbers that were missing.

It has stood unused for maybe 3-4 years and have couple of snags

The engine starts and runs from cold then after a short while it dies and fuel comes out of carb overflow port,i have taken carb off to check for dirt in float chamber and cleaned it out but still does it, any suggestions?

Also bike goes into gear but no clutch control at all ,(clutch linkage moves )some one has mentioned the clutch basket but this sounds expensive and complicated and i have limited mechanical knowledge

Many thanks

Steve

Welcome in Steve :D

Yep you have a problem with the float or float valve. To check the float just remove it and shake it to see if there's fuel in one of the floats (very unlikely mind)

The valve has no doubt got a wear ring around the seat, you will see it better with a magnifying glass, (sometimes the spring loaded pin can be weak too) if it has buy a new one complete with seat,

all that remains to be said is the float height setting to 21mm

you will have to be clearer on the clutch issue, is it stalling when you put it into gear? if so might just be plates stuck together which is a common occurance through lack of use.

...Paul

Hi paul,

Many thanks for the advice i will have a look at those parts,

The clutch (or lack of)as soon as you select 1st gear it just stalls, is it likely to free up with use or will i have to free it up first?

Regards

Steve

Hi paul,

Many thanks for the advice i will have a look at those parts,

The clutch (or lack of)as soon as you select 1st gear it just stalls, is it likely to free up with use or will i have to free it up first?

Regards

Steve

As far as the clutch goes, you could try warming the engine up until the transmission oil is warm, then kill the engine select a high gear 5 or 6 pull the clutch and rock the bike to and fro, this may work.

Failing that you will need to strip the clutch plates out and seperate them by hand.

When youve done change the transmission oil too.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online