DT125R Electric starting issues

Peter T
This post is 5343 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have a 2004 DT electric start model which does not start while cranking. It only seems to start when the button is released?

Is there a relay that controls the starting coil while cranking?

Thanks.

Have you tried charging the battery. It may have enough power to turn it over but not actually fire, then when you release the button the motor is spinning fast enough for it to catch.

Well it would be my first point to look at.

Welcome to the club.

Thanks for the welcome. :rolleyes:

That was my first thought but have tried that and it is a new battery.

The next place to check would be battery and starter motor connections.

Problem solved!!!

I renewed the gearbox oil before i started to semi strip it down, and realised after using a paddock stand that the backwheel was spinning? After applying the brake i soon found that the clutch was dragging badly which is why it would not start easily.

Strange as it was Semi synthetic oil that was advised by a Yamaha dealer. Going to try some non synthetic oil.

Problem solved!!!

I renewed the gearbox oil before i started to semi strip it down, and realised after using a paddock stand that the backwheel was spinning? After applying the brake i soon found that the clutch was dragging badly which is why it would not start easily.

Strange as it was Semi synthetic oil that was advised by a Yamaha dealer. Going to try some non synthetic oil.

Nice one, so we were right that it wouldn't go because of the current drain. Just the cause we were out on. Glad its sorted. B)B)

Yes!! Just goes to show that some problems are not always related and you have to do some lateral thinking sometimes. B)

Most important tool in the fault finding box, an open mind.

I used to use Castrol MTX 10w40 done over 14000miles with 3 or 4 changes and was fine, would definitely recommend it.