fuel injected small bikes

pepperami
This post is 5219 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

i was looking at the new YRB250 the other day, and what a sweet little run-around it would be!!

looking at the specs, i see it is fuel injected and not normally asperated (no carb).

this got me thinking :icon_eek: if people can chip thier cars, how long before you will be able to buy upgraded electronics for bikes at the small end of the market?

you can buy alsorts of of whizzbangtecnicery for your 2-strokes these days, but sadly strokers are dying out :icon_sad:

so could the fact that bike makers are going over to electronic fuel delivery systems for most bikes be a blessing in diguise???

how long before you can buy an 18/21 bhp standard bike= YRB250, go on flea-bay to get an after-market chip and take it up to? say 28 bhp, just by changing the chip and jets? or bolting on an after-market injector?

just a thought..... what do you lot think????

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Dynojet beat you to it, Its called a Power Commander.

Dynojet beat you to it, Its called a Power Commander.

Eh! never heard of it ??? please tell me more........ why is`nt this more popular???

Eh! never heard of it ??? please tell me more........ why is`nt this more popular???

What happend was people wanted to do all sorts of tuning etc to their bikes through the 90's but those bloody eurocrats were pi55ing in the punch even then with noise regs etc.

One of the ways manufacturers got round this was with flat spots in the engine at the exact rpm band of the test. Thats at or about 6000rpm. Trivial persuit answer for you here if an engine runs rich it runs quieter, so most of the bikes in the 90's ran rich midrange to make them quiet then leaner up top to keep the motor clean for the emmisions.

The above obviously krackers the ideal settings the designers wanted for the bikes as they were having to fit bigger and clumsyer exhausts to boot, hence they run nowhere near their potential.

In comes dynojet, they supplied kits to correct all the euro trash the bikes were lumberd with and did the developement to be able to adjust the kit so suit race pipes etc. Worked too, i had a Dynojet kit on my 600 with a few other 'enhansements'.

Obviously time marches on and the cutting edge stuff started getting fuel injection, the early stuff was pretty ropey tbh, some of the new stuff isn't great either. This is still because of the euro tat again. The bikes are trying to be good for the rules and good for us, and again never the twain. Dynojet again spotted this and started doing little black boxes to correct the FI glitches so the bike was as it should be, or tweaked for race cans and such. Once the ignition systems were being mapped and linked to the fueling the bike electronically controlled everything.

Enter the power commander a programmable black box that adjusts the ignition and fueling maps to the ideal. You do still need a rolling road to get it really good but it means the bike is optimised for your particular exhaust ,filter, any porting work etc.

I would think the greater part of bikes under 3-4 years old with some tuning and a pipe will have one. They were a must have on the VFR800. And i believe you can get them for just about anything these days.

I know it probably sounds like an ad but i've never heard anybody say anything but good things about them.

Thats the sort of stuff i am interested in... thank you Mr C ..

i`m guessing that as even new small bikes (250 and less) are getting fuel injection these days, it wont be long before someone starts to produce replacement/better little black boxes for our bikes...... I hope!

with a bit of luck, even replacement bolt on goodies for some of the old carbed engines/bikes.