XS 250 Wiring and splicing fun

HotelBushranger
This post is 5350 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys,

Over the course of my XS 250 rebuild bought a pair of XS 650 handlebar switches, had to splice some terminals because everything didn't match up properly...putting everything back now and I'm having some problems.

DSCF1325.jpg

This is off the wiring harness

DSCF1320.jpg

This is from the new RHS switch

DSCF1331.jpg

This is from the new LHS switch

Now...if I kept the original switches, everything would be good except for the 2 2-into-1 green and brown terminals (which I have been told are indicators) having no matching terminals. Now with the new switches, they have a home but the black and blue terminal from the RHS switch no longer has a match (which I think is the lights on/off switch). With everything plugged in now except for that, none of the lights, indicators or horn works. I don't know if that's because things aren't plugged in right, they have been spliced incorrectly or everything has to be in series for it all to work?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks guys

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey guys,

Over the course of my XS 250 rebuild bought a pair of XS 650 handlebar switches, had to splice some terminals because everything didn't match up properly...putting everything back now and I'm having some problems.

DSCF1325.jpg

This is off the wiring harness

DSCF1320.jpg

This is from the new RHS switch

DSCF1331.jpg

This is from the new LHS switch

Now...if I kept the original switches, everything would be good except for the 2 2-into-1 green and brown terminals (which I have been told are indicators) having no matching terminals. Now with the new switches, they have a home but the black and blue terminal from the RHS switch no longer has a match (which I think is the lights on/off switch). With everything plugged in now except for that, none of the lights, indicators or horn works. I don't know if that's because things aren't plugged in right, they have been spliced incorrectly or everything has to be in series for it all to work?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks guys

I've seen people do this before.

Have you actually identified what does what on the loom and what does what on the switches or just taken wires of the same colour and matched them up?

You need to sit down with the wiring diagrams for each bike, unfortunately there are wires in a bike loom that aren't always listed, when i got the cable to wire my DT there are quite a few colours that are on the bike that are not on the drw or are present as a little line but not annotated.

Some are pretty std like the dark brown and dark green being the indicators, yellow is generally the lighting feed and red and black are self explanitory (not on some Honda's though black is live).

I'll see if i can fiqure something out.

if memory serves, that cut blue wire on the left hand switch pikkie, is a feed for the main beam headlamp via the LH switch. it might also power the horn!

Right your RH switchgear has the 2 red and white they are for the engine stop switch, the blue/white is the kill sw. There should also be a brown and a green with a yellow tracer which is for your front brake. There is most likely a dark green too for your indicator.

Now the lefthand, there will be a 'chocolate' dark green and a brown and white for the indicators and possibly extras if it has self canceling indicators, then it gets complicated.

It depends on the charging system, intended, market, etc as to the wiring of the lighting. You will have a blue,a yellow and a green dealing with the headlight but after that i'm afraid we need at the very least the colours of the wiring from the bike and the switchgear, or the bike and switchgear details to find out properly.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online