DT50 MX tuning

Samwhitt69
This post is 5012 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, im new to the forum ;)

Ive recently bought a 1985 DT50 MX, brilliant condition but all standard. I am not yet 16 but the old owner told me that it does 45mph which is ok but i wish to improve it ;)

Ive seen these Hy-Tec Reed Valves they're only £10, and promise to boost acceleration, are they as good as they say and are they hard to fit?

Any other sugestions to upgrade the bike im all ears :D

Thanks Sam :P

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi, im new to the forum wink.gif

1985 DT50 MX,

Any other sugestions to upgrade the bike im all ears biggrin.gif

Welcome Sam ,, if u search [ forum] for Wild foamy , and search for his posts , U will find out a lot of mods [engine] that he has done, Uwill also see the disasters T00ohmy.gif

Exspensive , so tread carefully with the engine mods ,wink.gif

Hi, im new to the forum ;)

Ive recently bought a 1985 DT50 MX, brilliant condition but all standard. I am not yet 16 but the old owner told me that it does 45mph which is ok but i wish to improve it ;)

Ive seen these Hy-Tec Reed Valves they're only £10, and promise to boost acceleration, are they as good as they say and are they hard to fit?

Any other sugestions to upgrade the bike im all ears :D

Thanks Sam :P

You are probably going to think i'm being really boring here but if it is in 'brilliant condition' and all standard doing 45mph reeds are about all i'd want to change. There is beleive it or not a growing group of people that ride these things to shows all over the country.

If you keep it real nice and un messed with for 12 months you will get your money back real easy.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

if it is doing 45 as standard, no doubt it has already been modified, mine was stock when i got it apart from an exhaust system and that did 35.

but with a 60cc bore kit, fibre reeds, biggest front sprocket i could find, smallest rear socket i could find, cone air filter and just about anything else i could find for it, i got 55 out of mine maximum speed, trouble was being only a five speed it would be revving its bollocks off and overheat if you took it about 40mph for more than about 5 minutes.

dont fuck with it, thats about as fast as it will ever be, keep it in good condition until your old enough for a big bike, then sell me the DT :)

oh, and if i didnt say before, dont fuck with it ;)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online